Girdle and the Oil Dipstick

Audie1

Hooah!
Have never seen anyone mention anything about checking engine oil when you are using a girdle.......with the height of the girdle being taken into concideration. Is an extra QT of oil used when changing oil, to bring the level up to the full mark or is a longer dip stick used to check the oil with??? I'm putting together an engine that has a girdle when this dawned on me............Thanks

no need to fill to the full line, you still use the same 5qts when refilling unless you also have a deep pan

the dipstick fill mark should be remarked at least 3/4" lower for the girdle thickness ,

Little trick I used for a customer was to use 2 dipsticks.
Weld the second length to another stick. Leave about 3" from the original handle. Then take the other stick & add the needed length. Weld the 2 together to get the correct length desired.

no need to fill to the full line, you still use the same 5qts when refilling unless you also have a deep pan

the dipstick fill mark should be remarked at least 3/4" lower for the girdle thickness ,

Sounds good to me........thanks :smile:

Why not use the original dipstick? You'll realize about an extra quart of oil which will help lower oil temperature & you can increase mileage between oil changes as much as 10%.

Remember that the dipstick is on an angle so basically the add mark becomes the new full mark, than measure the distance between add and full and scratch a new line that distance below the original "add mark" for your new "add mark".
If you fill up to the full mark on the dipstick than motor oil will be up to the seam where the pan gasket meets the girdle.

:cool: PS: Another thing you can do that I did "once" is to cut a short length off the top of the dipstick tube (approx. 3/4") than your dipstick will read correctly like OEM. I used a small tubing cutter which makes a clean cut than a little flat file for the sharp edge that a tubing cutter leaves sometimes. :smile:

I prefer just making the new scratch "add mark" because down the road you may not have a girdle any more!!!