getting knock...

Getsidewayz04

i recently got my car together and running perfect at the beginning of the summer after installing the new tt street chip, gen II translator, poly motor mounts, 60 lb injectors, and the rjc power plate. the car is a beast and runs great but the only problem is that the car seems to knock at like 17-18 pounds of boost. i always use shell 93 octane here in chicago and with the power plate installed i thought for sure that i would be able to run at least 18 pounds w/o knock. I havnt changed anything as far as the tune goes, its still on the basic settings for the gen II and the chip. I do have a stock intercooler, could that be making the difference?? it has been hot here lately. any help is appreciated. and also the first tank of gas in the car when i had it out was 100 octane race gas that was in the tank from last summer. It didnt start knocking until that gas was gone and i just filled it up with 93. maybe i need some minor adjustments?? thanx for the help.

Nick

Stock turbo? What AFR/o2 volts is the scanmaster showing? Whats the fuel pressure at with the line off? Where are you seeing that knock? certain gear? on the shift? Im out here in the burbs too, last night was like 500% humidity and my car still wanted to pull...gotta love that methanol.

yes it is the stock turbo. Im not sure what the o2 volts are, im at work but i will check when i get home and post them. fuel pressure is set to 43 line off. the knock isnt gear specific, its pretty much as soon as i start to get on it the boost climbs and as soon as it hits 17-18 pounds the knock starts to register. It starts low and rises steadily...the highest ive seen is 4.5 degrees of knock but i let out of the throttle and im sure it would of kept climbing. also i dont kinow what my wot timing is set too, where would i look for this?? the chip? thanks again for your replies

That sounds normal for the weather currently and 93 octane on stock turbo and intercooler. Try some octane booster, I believe in it. I've seen too many GN guys and myself throw some octane booster in and definately improve detonation problems. Though, it's still not as good as 100 octane unleaded. 100 octane not as good as acly injection...;)

Nick.
You can check to see what the timing is set on by using a Scanmaster and the directions that came with the chip. The TT chip should be fully programmable. I would assume his 93 chips should have a base of 18 - 20* WOT timing. If you look at the chip, pull it out of the computer and read what is wrote on the underneath side of the chips label, it will tell you what the base timing is. If you can't make heads or tails of it, either give Eric a call or shoot him an email with the chip number that is written on the upper right hand corner of the chip label. It sounds like with the recent heat and a stock IC, it is getting heat soaked and she's detonating on 93. What spark plugs are you running?
You might try a one range colder plug like Autolite #23s gapped at a tight .032 gap and turn the boost back to 16psi just to make sure the detonation goes away. I would also recommend you change out the stock fuel filter if it has not been done in a long time. You will definitely need either alky or 100 octane unleaded for boost higher than 17psi with a stock turbo and stock IC with this heat and todays 93 gas. A larger stock location IC will definitely help as well.
Let us know.

Patrick

Should be some documentation that came with the chip as to what the WOT timing is set to, and possibly may be adjusted to.
I'm not all that familiar with how/if WOT timing is adjusted in the TT chips.