Get rid of Jay Carter kit or not?

Pat

Boost Conseuer!
I've had a Jay Carter kit for a while now and haven't had much luck with it. It's kind of a pain running around with a ligh taped to the windsheild to tun it in. When I finally got the knock to settle down, the car would lag like crazy. I now know the SMC kit is a bit easier to work with, but I have yet to see any great personal benifits. My car should run a high 11 1/4 mile now and with the 9" 3500 TC it builds boost really quick. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to try this again, but am discouraged.

Thanks!
Ryan

The only advantage SMC has over Jay Carter in my opinion is the controller and the low alky light. If your like me and have a 3/4 gallon tank that is not too much of a problem;)

Is the alcohol flooding your car out? you need to be more specific on why it is not working for you.

As far as the light you have the hard work done, you just need to be more creative. Wire the light into your "power injection" light in the dash, or mount a nice light near your boost gauge.

I just reread your post and realized you have a light on the OUTSIDE of the windshield?!? Just route the wires into your car through the hole in the firewall on the drivers side. from there you can install the light wherever you want

It just seems that in order to eliminate knock I end up adding too much alky and it floods it. what are the jets your currently running and at what point is your system turning on?

Pat,

Just contact Steve C, he sells the SMC controller separately. Jay Jackson added one to his home made system. I would think that would be money better spent if you want that kind of adjustability.

Mike

P.S.

I've had the best settings of 0.030" jet and turn on point of ~14lbs, with a street chip.

Thanks Mike, I'm also guessing that you've removed the boost sensor and are using a mechanical valve so higher boost is allowed with the street chip.

Thanks to all those who reply. I've got time to let the car sit and mess around with and would really like to get this alky setup working for once!

And about how much alky are you going thru. If I remember right mine didn't use much.

Pat,

I use a boost commander and run 24lbs of boost with 20* timing. With the 0.030" jet I don't use that much alky, with the 0.040" jet, too much would flow and drown the car.

Mike

I use a 70% denatured to 30% distilled water.

I switched to the SMC controller AND dual nozzles on my DIY kits. My T-Type ran GREAT with a JC kit in the mid 90's, my GN ran GREAT with a similar setup more recently, but my WE4 was "finicky" with it! Tried various jets and trigger points, but switched to the SMC controller/dual nozzles and gained (literally) 6 tenths and 3 mph! Why the JC works on some TRs and not others, I can't say!

What boost and jets have you tried? Maybe you need to turn up the boost to fix that drowning! That can work!

I believe it was the .03 jet and around 21#'s. Maybe I can add the dual nozzles. I'm assuming that the SMC controller speeds up/lowers the voltage to the pump? I'm hoping not to lose all the $$ I spent on this and finally get it to work somehow. Is there a better switch to use than the one I currently have?(small black pressure switch, came with kit)

Thanks!

I believe that switch is basically the same as is used in the SMC kit, but it's hidden inside the controller and adjusted using an external knob. 21 psi may sound like a lot, but it actually isn't, IMO! Try 22-23 psi (monitoring KR, of course!) and maybe a little later trigger point? Do you know what boost it turns on at now?

13#'s was the trigger point. Also with the street chip will the power band seem to be a bit slower than w/ race chip. I figure the timing would cause it. If not, why can't you run a race chip w/ alky?