Gauging Interest In Single/Twin Kit

WeAreVenom

Which would the Buick community prefer? A high quality single kit? Or a high quality twin kit? Also, what power level or turbo size would be best? Is there more interest in a "full race" type kit? Or a street kit?

I'm just a fellow TR owner that's been talking with a well known turbo kit maker about getting into turbo Buicks. Those are the questions he has asked. Wasn't exactly sure which forum to post it in, but figured this was the best.

Didn't mean to step on any toes or anything. :confused:

Our cars come with a pretty good single kit from the factory, so I would say your only option would be the twins.

I don't know that a single kit would be necessary ( :confused: ) but if a prefab twin setup wasn't crazy expensive that could be an interesting idea. We seem to do really well with 1 big turbo, I don't know what we'd gain by having 2 smaller ones, but it could be cool.

Many have attempted a twin kit. No one has succeeded to my knowledge to build one that is affordable. Some of the prototype efforts like Jay Carter's, showed awesome potential but never materialized.

What about a variable vane big turbo.Something that will hit hard at both ends.Dodge did it on the hot side,how about on the cold end?

The advantage of twins to me would be spool-up, and relatively low boost. For all out power, I don't think there are any advantages to a twin set up. Price wise, It would have to be under $1500 plus turbos to make it attractive.

How about getting rid of alt and have a combo electric turbo/alt upstream of present turbo location? No second turbo location needed since added power will be at old alt area.Not as many tubes needed.Possibly same weight.Plus no belt needed at alt area,more free power.

There currently is a twin kit available for these cars, but I think its around $5000 for the kit and doesn't show a whole bunch of upside. As far as I know, nobody has bought the kit. To keep the air metering simple it would have to have a MAF just before the TB or go to a mafless setup.

I would offer just the two headers, down pipes, and turbo to IC pipe for as cheap as possable. ~$1500
I would not market a "turn key" kit.

Turbo-Archie said:
I would offer just the two headers, down pipes, and turbo to IC pipe for as cheap as possable. ~$1500
I would not market a "turn key" kit.

Yeah, um, well talked to him about a possible price and he stated at least $2500 for the pipes etc. That's way more than I think ANYONE is willing to pay.

To their credit though, they do make amazing products. Here's there site.

www.full-race.com

There exists a Twin Turbo kit for the Buick. It's been driven to the track at E-Town and Atco. Twice down the track and this street car is already running 10.8s at over 125. See http://www.espperformance.com/twins.html This is a street car that launches off the foot brake with 4 psi and 60's at 1.57 with only air bags, trailing arms, and slicks. At 18 psi it's running 10.8s. We are installing a kit now, on a customers car, that should make the pages of GM High Tech Performance.

Just a reminder.