gauge cluster disasembly and speedo/odo cable lubing

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
A few days ago I noticed an annoying squeaking noise coming from behind my "gauge cluster" (I have the digital dash option). It increases its frequency with vehicle speed (not engine speed), and so I assume its coming from the cable going to my odometer (i don;t know if that cable also gives the speed signal to the speedo, or if in the digital dash cars that is accomplished electronically through some other means).

Last friday I was installing a new set of dash speakers, so I figured while I had the car in the garage I'd take the dash apart and lube the cable/gears and hopefully fix the problem. After spending a few hours wrestling with it, I gave up and put it all back together. I got the trim part off, and undid all the screws I could get to (the ones holding the speedo lens and assembly to its housing, the ones holding the housing to the main gauge cluster frame, and the ones holding that frame to the dash frame). After all this, I still could only manage to pull the speedo portion out about an inch or so, not nearly enough room to get behind there and undo the plugs and hardware I assume I need to to actually remove it. I spent a lot of time trying to peer up in there with inspection mirrors and the like to see what was keeping it from coming out further, but couldn't figure it out. I didn't want to force anything for fear of breaking or damaging the old brittle plastic.

If there is any good tutorial on how to remove the speedo cluster and get to the cable to lube it, please let me know (keeping in mind I have a digital dash car if they are assembled differently). Especially helpful would be pictures/descrptions of exactly what screws, clips, plugs etc. need to be undone and where they are located. My speedo, and trip/regular odometer are working fine for now, but this noise is getting worse and I'd like to get it lubed before it become more than just an annoyance. Any help is appreciated! thanks!

The noise is from the rubber stop tab under the hood right by the fire wall. It is dry. Put some grease on it once every 6 months or so.

It is the round tab that the hood hits when it closes.

It definitely sounds like the noise is coming from directly behind the odometer/speedo area, right above the steering column... I will certainly try lubing this stop when I get home though, that would be AWESOME if thats all it was.. i certainly would have never though to check this.

Thanks for the help, I'll let y'all know if this takes care of it.

You are close to having the gauge cluster out, the speedometer cable plugs into the unit and is held in by a strong spring clip. Reach behind the cluster and find where the cable goes in, press the clip towards the steering wheel to release the cable. When you re-install, just push the cable back into the cluster, the clip will lock it into place. It's the same procedure for digital and analog cars.
As mentioned above, lube that rear center hood bumper. It's amazing how much noise it can make inside the car.

HTH - Jimmy

You got one for the analog?

Is there one for the analog? Can't seem to figure out how to remove the speedo cable? I get all the screws out, dash pad, trim etc. Only pulls out so far then nothing? And can't really get hand behind or see where the speedo cable is?

Is there one for the analog? Can't seem to figure out how to remove the speedo cable? I get all the screws out, dash pad, trim etc. Only pulls out so far then nothing? And can't really get hand behind or see where the speedo cable is?

Well I guess I'll admit that this has me baffled on my car as well. I guarantee mine is not the hood bumper. It makes the needle jump around and makes it impossible to use the cruise control when it is acting up. Tried to pull out the cluster on afternoon and couldn't get it out far enough to even reach behind it. If it is the cable holding it back, I will loosen the connection in the engine bay and push the cable in for some slack. I fear mine might be one of the bearings in the cluster. Analog BTW.

bump

Did you ever get the instrument cluster out? I just tried messing with mine to get it out...got the cable off and disconnected the pigtail but cannot remove the big wire cluster from the back of it....NOTHING on the forums about that group of wires from the main harness under the dash...it is pissin me off!!! Anyone got any ideas or further details on removing instrument cluster?

Alright, I know this thread is pretty much dead but wanted to let yall know that I got the instrument cluster out today and the reason why it wouldn't come up before was somewhat surprising. Someone had screwed in the big black connector from behind. I had to take off the actual speedometer to get to the screws but yup sure did. Really could not believe it!!!