Gas Tank Pics - Post them

Yeah my "clear" color is just what the tank looked like with no paint on it. Looked pretty nice though a fresh tank would be even nicer.

I bought a can of spray paint that was "clear coat" or untinted paint. Covered the whole tank to keep rust away.

Get new rubber straps. you will be pleased with how much of a difference that makes too.

Looks like the original galvanized finish, which is what I'd choose. I believe Eastwood sells a spray on coating that duplicates it, although I have no experience with it.

Home Depot/Lowes also has rustoleum's take off of a zinc phosphate paint identical to eastwoods,but less expensive.I'm gonna do mine in that finish just for the fact of detering rust.Appears that mine is on it's second tank and I'm gonna hopefully see to it that it's the last!Also while on the subject,have seen 2 cars with what appears to be a "patch"welded on the bottom of the tank between the straps on the flat area.None of the tanks pictured nor mine has it.Any thoughts?

Home Depot/Lowes also has rustoleum's take off of a zinc phosphate paint identical to eastwoods,but less expensive.

I tried a Rustoleum product on my Charger labeled 'Cold Galvanizing Compound', thinking that it would be the same. Came out looking like regular primer. Works great, no rust has formed whatsoever, but the finish isn't as attractive. Is this the product you're talking about, or something else?

I have a thread around here from a few months ago for the same thing :)

I had black...with black hanging straps. Didn't like it. Saw too many pictures of black cars with silver tanks and the contrast is nice.

I sanded off the paint and clear coated it to keep it looking nice.
Went to Kirban for new rubber and went with SS hanging straps.

I am pleased with how it came out.

My poll ended up with 20 in favor of silver, 16 in favor of black.

Paint the gas tank? - TurboBuick.Com

I was looking for this thread because I remebered it and even posted in it. I could not find it for the life of me.
The pendulum has swung back to silver for me:cool:

Ok, I crawled under the back of the car with the spiders....

Attachments

• Gas_tank.jpg
    Gas_tank.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 803
I tried a Rustoleum product on my Charger labeled 'Cold Galvanizing Compound', thinking that it would be the same. Came out looking like regular primer. Works great, no rust has formed whatsoever, but the finish isn't as attractive. Is this the product you're talking about, or something else?

Off the top of my head I can't recall,but I'm in the middle of a project at home so when I'm in there next I'll look see what the name was.

RENTHORIN,whats that plate in the middle of your tank?thats the one I mentioned in my other post but don't know whats it's all about

I too have asked about that plate. I was told it is for sound deadening.

It feels like a piece of metal (maybe lead) attached with adhesive.

TurboRegal84 - It was your pic in Renthorin's original thread that sealed the deal. That is the look I am going for, very clean appearance from the back

my advice is get new tank rubber (18 bucks) and new stainless tank straps (40 bucks). It will make the underside look new.

I HAVE A NEW GAS TANK WHICH I GOT A COUPLE YEARS AGO, I DEGREASE IT AND PAINTED WITH EASTWOOD TANK TONE PAINT.....THAT WORK FOR ME AND IT STILL LOOKS GREAT!!

Attachments

• 2006_06120015.jpg
    2006_06120015.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 756
my advice is get new tank rubber (18 bucks) and new stainless tank straps (40 bucks). It will make the underside look new.

I've seen the straps in several places, but where do you get the rubber? And is the rubber a GN only thing? I've never seen them before this thread.

anyone know where to get a new and correct (baffles) gas tank?? mine is slightly damaged which makes it ugly.

thanks!

anyone know where to get a new and correct (baffles) gas tank?? mine is slightly damaged which makes it ugly.

thanks!
Discount Gas Tanks- # 1 source for gas tanks and sending units online - all makes and models - best price! you will have to call because the website only shows the one without the neck. the ones with the neck are around 145 plus 19 for straps. these have the correct baffleing in them if you look down the hole there only looks like you can put 5 gallons of gas in there because the baffles are all around and go to the roof but on the bottom they have a 1/2 inch opening from the floor so the gas can move around. in the center of the tank they have a triangular sump 3 inches high so the gas wont slosh. instead of the round dogdish. call and ask for mark 800.443.1322
plus you get another 5 dollars off

I HAVE A NEW GAS TANK WHICH I GOT A COUPLE YEARS AGO, I DEGREASE IT AND PAINTED WITH EASTWOOD TANK TONE PAINT.....THAT WORK FOR ME AND IT STILL LOOKS GREAT!!

Is that HOOKER EXHAUST w/ polished tailpipes? LOOKS GOOD!:biggrin: