Coating inside of fuel tank

mommasGN

Last time I had my fuel tank down, I was amazed at the rust on the inside. (car sat for 5 years with a half a tank of gas...i can see the rust line). At the time I couldn't do anything about it. My pump finally took a dump. So ive ordered a new tank and pump.

question is.......should I coat the inside with any of the fuel tank coating? Or just take better care of the car and drain the tank if the vehicle sits for long periods of time?

And what are yall thoughts on painting the outside? should I paint it black or just clear it? I kinda like the look of the bare metal from behind the car.

thanks

FORGET that..
Buy a new tank. Spectre has a repop tank w/ the correct baffles in it.
I get them from Bob's Impalas, on the bag.
Last one was <$150 shipped.

As long as you fill it up your fine for a long storage. Or you have the option of using an additive to put inside the gas, which is what I do because it keeps the entire fuel system clean.
I've also used coatings on inside of Tanks but I use that on Old vehicles that I can no longer find fuel tanks for. what I use is a sealer and coating system.
As far as the outside options are all yours.

Chuck, he ordered new parts.

And if you want to use clear but you don't want to be too shiny get a couple coats of clear on there and stuff it down with some steel wool or scuff pad just to knock down the shine.
PPG has a semi gloss clear. I use that once but didn't really notice a difference, still look glossy to me.

If you know it's going to sit for an extended amount of time, fill the tank with as much fuel you can get in there.

less air in the tank = less water in the tank.

And what are yall thoughts on painting the outside? should I paint it black or just clear it? I kinda like the look of the bare metal from behind the car.
Pretty much nothing on earth, including powder coating will prevent bare steel from turning brown under the clear. No matter what you use, sooner or later, it will look ugly. Unless you never plan to drive it and keep it in climate controlled low humidity storage.

Paint it. Black or metallic.

Eastwood Products have a good reputation in the Motorcycle world: https://www.eastwood.com/paints/gas-tank.html

Sta-Bil 360 is supposed to prevent corrosion above the fuel line. Don't know how well it works. I keep my steel motorcycle tanks full as much as possible. Minimize the area exposed to air.