Gary-- RJC Boost Controller question

Drip Pan

Every Buick needs one!
Gary--

On your car, you had mentioned that Mike had stretched the spring in order to get the RJC boost controller to work better. At what boost level did Mike set it to trigger at? I had one of these RJC units on my GN but I forgot to take the controller off before I sold the car, so I never had the chance to try it on the Limited. Seeing as our combos are similar I thought about giving one another go for the heck of it.

Thanks,
Morgan

Morgan

To use a RJC controler, you need to have your stock location waist gate set just tight enough to keep the puck closed. You should adjust the stock location boost rod so that you have to pull it 1/8" to get it over the puck arm. At this point, all your boost adjustment is done at the RJC controler. Tightening the brass fitting raises the boost, and unscrewing it lowers the boost. Jason told me that if you can't get the boost to go high enough, you can stretch the spring a "little" bit. If the boost wont go low enough, then you can cut a loop off the spring. If you take the thing apart, don't drop the little ceramic ball or it'll brake.

I used to use a RJC controler on my car to help it spool up a bit quicker when I went to a bigger turbo, and it was'nt making as much HP. Once I went to ported heads, alky, 373 gear, etc, I was just blowing the tires away. I took it off to slow the spool a bit and let the car have a chance to hook up when I hit the gas.

Neat product though.
Good luck

Mike

Morgan:
I talked to Race Jace about a year ago and he told me 2 things that could affect it's not working optimimally. Spring sag over time, & the ceramic ball sticking for whatever reason. Mine never worked properly until mike stretched the spring and reset it for me. I can now really notice a difference when I tap the throttle enough to engage the turbo. Whether the difference between now and then was due to it's not working properly before, some tip-in affecting it's performance that also disappeared when Mike tuned the car, or overall tuning affecting it's performance I don't know. I can definitely notice a difference now. I suspect a primary reason for the improvement of not only it but the car's performance is Mike's ability to fine tune at the track. It is a great product and I can say there is a world of difference between it being adjusted properly and not adjusted properly.

Gary

One of the problems I found on your set up was, who ever put the RJC controler on, left the stock WG set at 20 lbs boost. This made it spool even slower than if they had just left it all stock. No real master tuner abilitys needed for this one.

One of the problems I found on your set up was, who ever put the RJC controler on, left the stock WG set at 20 lbs boost. This made it spool even slower than if they had just left it all stock. No real master tuner abilitys needed for this one.
I have to take blame there, as both the RJC boost controller and the stock waste gate have been set, re-set, & upset so many times that I have lost count. so neither were where they were set at a while back. And I have forgotten who even put it on.
However, I can guarantee one thing, and that is that is was never working as good as it is now, the car in general was never ran quite as crisp as it runs now, and the on-off switch attitude that the car was inheriting is a thing of the past too. My cars biggest problem is it's owner, and I am not too sure that anything will ever change there.