G. S. Nationals

Waco84GN

Member Boost-aholics anon
Hello Buick fans: This years Buick national in Bowling Green KY is just about here. October 19-22 is event dates. This will be my 25th year of attendance without a missed year. I am posting this thread in hopes to encourage as many people as possible to attend. This event is very important to all Buick owners; as all Buick events are. I realize that our economy is terrible and money is tight; but the importance of supporting the event will effect the future of such events. A big event like the GS nationals has so much to offer. The biggest part for me is seeing the friends that I have made over the 25 years of going to this event, and talking to all the car owners and looking at their cars. The better the turnout for the event the more vendors it will attract, and the positive effect it has for the vendors. Without the vendors our hobby is dead. I hope a lot of the Buick people can make the event with or without their cars. Believe me you can have a great time even without having a car there. This event is a family oriented event, and the whole town of Bowling Green really caters to the Buick people. I just hope that for future generations there are great events for the up coming generations. This can only happen if all of us make an effort to attend.

Thanks for reading,

Jerry Berger Sr. GSCA #97

What a great post Jerry. Its about the friends and people, you are right. I know I will be there!

Hi Jerry,
My Father & I had attended 21 straight GS Nationals. Unfortunately, last year broke that streak. I have taken great pleasure in attending the GS Nats over the years, and made many life long friends. It has always been a family event for my family. It is most often the only week long vacation for my family! After that many years, the GS Nats has molded how & when I choose to work on my cars. I now somewhat regret not going to the 2010 Nats in the fall. Last spring, and even more this spring has seemed very strange with no GS Nats to attend. I will be attending the Nats this fall, however, I am troubled by the new date that has been chosen. You talk about how much of a family oriented event the GS Nats is, and that you hope it is there for future generations! I agree, and hope for the same as well. Yet, the new date chosen for the Nats very mush contradicts that statement. I have 2 children still in school. The May date was tuff, but do-able. Make the kids study their asses off, and get the tests taken early if they had to(If they wanted to go to the Nats). Now, The new date for the GS Nats is right in the middle of a semester. Then, throw in sports and other extra curricular activities and you have an impossible mess to try and deal with! Both of my kids want very much to attend the Nats! Hell, they have both been attending since they were babies. Most likely, niether will get to attend again this year. My son is now old enough to drive, and would love the chance to run his Turbo T down the drag strip at the GS Nationals. I guess that unfortunately, it will not happen again this year. I guess I feel that if it is truely the family oriented event that everyone touts it to be, then hold the event on a family oriented date. It would be awsome to have 3 generations of my family running down the Beech Bend drag strip! The window of opertunaty for that is getting very short. Thanks for letting me rant.
Brandon Crim

G S Nationals

Hello Brandon: Thanks for your reply. I agree with you on the original nationals date. There is no way that anyone can predict the weather; and that will always be a problem with any outside event. If the nationals would have been our old may date this year it would have been a total rain out. There is just no way to predict it. My concern with the current date; is chance of really cold weather. I remember one year at bowling green in may we saw 40 degree weather. I just got so spoiled going in may, and I REALLY LIKE THE EVENT IN BOWLING GREEN. The year that it was in ohio i hated it.I will talk to Richard about the fact that people with kids in school are out of luck with the current dates. It is very important that kids be able to make the event; as they are the future of the event. I hope something can be done. Jerry Berger Sr.

Intersting timely thread.....

Our company has attended every year since 1988 which I guess means this would be the 23rd time? Whether its May or October it really doesn;t matter to me. SO far the weather seems better in October. Like it has been said its seeing old friends, a great variety of Buicks....and really one of the best track/resturant locations we have attended. I remember when vendors set up in a motel room and at best their was only 3 or 4 Turbo vendors myself included. Its true numbers have decreased over the years with the last big uptick was the 25th anniversary of a few years back.

Any way as it has been stated have a safe trip.....if your puling a trailer....make sure its loaded properly....one experience I have a lot of having trailered many many Turbo Regals.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com