G Body Aluminum Core Supprt

TEN2NDREGAL

Wayne Scraba's Buford Project
I need to ask a real quick question to all the experts out there. Is there any difference between a Malibu or Regal/GN or a Monte SS Aluminum core support????
IE: Hole in the core for headlights???or any thing else I need to know to properly identify!!FONT="Comic Sans MS"]:confused: [/FONT]

Thanks for replying Claude. That's why I opened up this question because no one can really tell me if there are any differences. Anyone else care to tackle this question???
Bruce

aluminum core supports only came on a very few 78-80 g bodys.The head light openings look a little smaller,one bolt hole on the sides doesn't line up They either have an A embossed on the top left or they have a small A stamped where the hood spring hits.

Not sure if this applies to all '78-'80 core supports, which are technically A bodies but... I found that when I went to put an '87 GN core support in my '79 Olds, the '87 one is shorter in the headlight area- top of the bar to the bottom on the mount sides. The center is the same dimension. So in my case I had to make the body bushings taller to make up the difference. To go from a short support to the taller '78-'80 support I can't see it fitting without cutting and rewelding.

So it's not the easy bolt in as other people have suggested!!! Any others out there with any suggetions???

Plug and play IMO. Usually the aluminum supports have the letter "A" on the upper tie bar. Now there are at least 3 different versions I have seen and one of them doesn't have the A anywhere to be seen. Just look at the welds or use a magnet to ID them at the boneyard. Here's a clue. Aluminum doesn't rust. Steel does. The big difference is the shape of the upper tie bar. Only one of these versions is a true plug and play. I can't tell you how to tell the difference. The other two will fit, you just have to improvise. Usually either the front of the plastic wheelhouse doesn't bolt up or the plastic battery hold down strap doesn't reach far enough. Yes the headlamp opening is smaller. No big deal as only the wire harness goes through. You'll have to sawzall if you have some funky ram air set up. You'll also need to relocate the two header panel mounting holes. These are the vertical holes on the main panel. One is in front of the battery and the other in the same location on the drivers side. And yes the Chevys never used them. There is a height difference with the mounts. Usually 1/4-3/8" worth of washers fixes it. Remember these parts are going on 30 years old now. They aint exactly easy to find in good enough shape to use.

I was lucky enough to find 3 of these one day and yeah I forgot about that you can get rid of the rubber mount because they practically sit on the frame.The next day in another yard I found a aluminum hood for my 84 cutlass.Hey Eric do you know if they made a aluminum trunk lid for a 81-87 cutlass I know they made one for a 78-80 I came across one one time as well as a turbo hood

I found one in a 78 or 79 V8 Regal. It had the large A on it. It bolted right into my car. I guess I got lucky. I got it for $20 and they removed it. It weighed 14lbs less than my steel one.

I have never seen a aluminum trunk lid on any of the 81-88 G-Body coupes. Yep the 78-80 A/G Body is a true lightweight. Lots of aluminum goodies on them. I show the shipping weight on a 78-79 Regal coupe at 2990 pounds.

Aint it weird? Nowadays the buzz word with the high end imports is aluminum body panels and frames. America was there 30 years ago.Even longer if you consider those old 60's AFX type cars like the Impala,Bonneville and Galaxy. Today the new Suburbans and Tahoes(and other GM SUVs) use aluminum hoods and lift gates.