G-body 25.3 SFI rebuild

Currently making plans to go test on Friday the 25th of this month at MIR. All day testing, then stay the evening and make test runs with the ODR cars. Barring any serious problems/issues, should be a good chance to get the chassis dialed in some.

Making steady progress to have the car ready to test this coming Friday the 25th at MIR.

Got most of the mechanical stuff taken care of as well as completing the interior except for the dash which should hopefully be painted Monday.

Last evening I also put the car on the scales again to see how the weight is doing with the completed interior (not knowing how much weight carpet & padding added). Were still light for the class and will have to run a small amount of ballast to remain legal. :)

I spent almost all day today installing the decals. Had to make some last minute changes to the HFR logo which Matt Ebaugh came through on very short notice and swung by to help with the changes and install some other decals. Thanks Matt.

TRZ logo won't stick though, so I might have to get a replacement this coming week.

Monday I hope to get Henry over here so we can set the ride height, scale, neutral the anti-roll, plot the suspension IC, and set the shocks.

assembly112.jpg

assembly113.jpg

assembly114.jpg

assembly115.jpg

assembly116.jpg

It's been a long time coming, but the Malibu rebuild & assembly is pretty much done. Tomorrow is a full day and evening test at MIR. Just hope I don't forget to pack something as it's been quite a while and I can't remember everything I took to the track with me.

Back home from a very long day of testing. Up at 5am, at the track at 7:30am, testing all day and evening, left the track at 11:30pm, home by 2:00 am. Was exhausted till I got showered and climbed into bed.

Anyway, testing was very productive. Car worked well when the track was firm, but never got down when it got hot & greasy (135 track temp).

First pass off the trailer went like this:

5.27 off the trailer, 1.18 60'.

Also ran 5.34, 5.26 and last run of the night was 5.23 with a 1.15 60'.

Air was not very good with the best air at 1800' D/A, worse during the day approaching 2200'.

Tried alot of things, some worked, some did not. At this point finding a hot summer tuneup is a priority, but not going to be easy either.

The June 2nd SCS was our first official race with the newly completed rebuild of the HFR Malibu.

First qualifier it kicked the tires in the heat. Still working on a hot track setup.

Second qualifier we found a tune to get down the track. Slower, but went point A to B. Car ran a 5.328 @ 130.91 good enough for the second qualifying spot.

First round we simply wanted to repeat our first run before putting more power back in. I staged the car, held down the t-brake button and when I went to full throttle the engine fell on it's face. The engine refused to clean up and come up on the brake. I tried to wait thinking it might clear out, but it didn't seem to want to cooperate.

Looks like we still have some work to get the car in better competitive form. Plenty of potential, just need more laps to re-learn the car setup under varying conditions.

Here's two in car videos of the two qualifying passes. Lost the first round one run somehow.

The class had 13 cars show up and qualify. Should be a real competitive class once all the racers dial their rides in.

Congrats to Marc McCloud on the win and Mike Barry for the R/U.

Looking forward to racing with all the U/S guys next time out.

Todd

Hey guys,

Been racing all season and I may have forgotten to stop by and update how the Malibu has been running this season since the rebuild was completed.

The car has been running consistently in the 5.3x range at 129-130 mph in the summer heat. Tried to make some tweaks, but it was stuck at that ET level. I decided to switch to Q16 fuel with another carb built specifically for the fuel and while changing the carb I saw the intake gaskets slide down and blocking the top 1/4" of the port roof in every cylinder. Replaced the gaskets and Q16 and the car was back running consistent 5.2x passes like it did back in May. Here I thought the weather caused the car to slow like it did.

Anyhow, we went testing at MIR this past Sunday Sept 23rd. I had made a lexan grill blockoff as well as working on a carb air pan (not 100% complete).

The air was better than we've run in all season, 518' D/a on our first hit, 960' on the last.

pass #1, 518' D/A
1.163 60'
3.355 330'
5.204 660'
132.56 mph

Pass #2, 718' D/A (front end climbed, had to pedal and hit the rev limiter)
1.182 60'
3.400 330'
5.280 660'
131.48 mph

pass #3, 812' D/A
1.160 60'
3.343 330'
5.183 660'
133.26 mph

pass #4, 960' D/A
1.138 60'
3.319 330'
5.162 660'
133.22 mph

Spent all season working on a bad air/track setup, yesterday I had to work on a good air setup really tightening the front end up a good amount.

mir_516resize_zpsfd79d677.jpg

Here's the new air pan I threw together. Still need finishing by closing off some areas by the rear of the hood.

airpan.jpg

I just had to post this as I thought it was kinda funny.

After that last run I stopped the car and looked for my water bottle to get a drink. Couldn't find the bottle, but once I got out to take my jacket off, I turned around and there it was.

h20bottle.jpg

With a 1.138 60' I am surprised it didn't go THROUGH the back window! Very nice times and one of my all time favorite cars. You are an artist!

Well we ended our 2012 season at the Nov 3rd race.

#1 qualifier, got the win and new bests on every run...but it took -350' D/A air to do so.

5.09 @ 135, 1.12 60'

Engine came out the very next day to freshen and make some performance upgrades for 2013.