G-body 25.3 SFI rebuild

Turned out to be a productive weekend. Got alot of little things done including firing the engine again and getting it outside in the sun. Looks fantastic in the direct sun, almost blinding depending on the angle. The photos don't show this too well.

Next up is to send my belts back to Stroud to be rewebbed and get the interior guy here to quote custom carpet and get a date scheduled.

This thing sounds downright nasty with the new mufflers. Wish it was quieter, but with the 25.3, I was limited to what I could fit muffler wise.

assembly96.jpg

assembly97.jpg

assembly98.jpg

assembly99.jpg

I gotta admit I wasn't too comfortable driving this thing around the driveway. Visibility is much different than before. I sit further back so it feels like the front end is a mile long. I also sit lower, so it's harder to see where the front corners are and no outside mirrors make it impossible to see out back. I will have a rear view mirror on the windshield which should help some.

Gotta also be careful loading in the trailer and tieing down with the front lower valence (ground clearance).

Did one last final scale of the car Sunday before firing the engine.

2867 lbs w/driver. Only things missing from that weight would be carpet and the headliner. I think we'll be real close to 2900 lbs when it's all said and done.

The weight bias is not what I would prefer, but given the fact that most of the weight removed was from the middle of the car back, it was to be expected the bias would be hit the wrong way.

Will have to wait till the car is 100% complete, but right now it's sitting at 55.4% on the nose where as it used to be 54%.

Here's a shot my buddy Mike took Sunday. I love this angle.

423214_131400056987152_100003514756080_118738_1917883975_n.jpg

BTW, thanks to Mike Hensley for being willing to help out when needed. Much appreciated Mike.

Just a little clip my buddy Mike took on his phone Sunday. Don't need the video image, just the sound. This is what I need to keep me motivated to get the car done. :)

Were legal!

253cert.jpg

Car certified no problem for 25.3 spec which makes the car legal to run as quick as 6.50 in the 1/4 mile at 3600 lbs.

Getting to the end of the small fabrication projects. Last week I was able to get the door hanger for the trailer built, just need to find time to install it on the trailer wall.

This weekend I worked on the wheelie bar. This is something I've been wanting to try for a couple years now. We've built a couple singles for Outlaw 10.5 cars looking to lose weight, so this wound up being a slightly different (and shorter) version of those.

Complete bars weigh exactly 20 lbs.

assembly102.jpg

assembly103.jpg

assembly104.jpg

assembly105.jpg

assembly106.jpg

assembly107.jpg

One more small project to knock off the list. I built the brackets a week or so ago, just needed time and patience to mount them in the trailer. The inside walls are smooth with no screws, so finding at stud to securely mount the hinge bracket to was a challenge.

doorbrkts.jpg

assembly108.jpg

assembly109.jpg

assembly110.jpg

BTW, this is the door that I drove over with my 2003 Dodge Ram CTD front tire. lol

New rubber for the back of the Malibu. I'm too used to seeing the car with the mockup 315/60's, these 275/60's look tiny in the wheel well. Hopefully in time I'll get used to the look, right now not digging it.

assembly111.jpg

Very frustrating couple days last week. Dropped the car off for carpet on Wednesday, picked it up Thursday. Kinda surprised it got done so quickly. Once I looked at the work done I was in shock. Not anything like I had expected. I won't go into detail, but the work performed was not to my satisfaction on many counts and it will be completely ripped out and redone by another shop.

It's a shame as I waited 2 or 3 weeks to end up with a very disappointing job. Now the cars completion date is pushed back even further, more cost and missing more of the racing season.

I did speak today with the person who did the carpet work and we came to a reasonable resolution to the job.

I then called and spoke with the original upholsterer I use and were gonna try and get together one day this week to look over the work to be done and discuss how I want the job to look as well as getting my name on the list. I'm sure it'll be at least two or three weeks as busy as he usually is.

It sucks to go through this, but I've not made any compromises with the build thus far, I'm not gonna start now.

Now I gotta try and sell a couple spare rims to help offset the cost of redoing the carpet.

Well, the spare wheels have been sold to finance redoing the carpet. My upholsterer came over last evening and looked everything over. We discussed the layout and pulled the old carpet out. The first guy sure made a mess of my new sheetmetal just fabricated.

Anyway, the car is going to the shop not this coming weekend, but next weekend to get the carpet redone. Anxious to see the difference between the two jobs. I have no doubt this guy knows what I'm looking for and how to get it done right.

After the carpet is done I can call the glass company to get the new glass installed. Once that's done I can put the rear interior panels in and drop the car off for sanding & buffing as well as fixing the paint on the quarter panel the first carpet guy messed up. Grr

I have a local car show I'd like to make on May 19th. We'll see if things come together in time. Then it'll be time to get prepared to make some test runs after that.

WIth all the perfection in this build you have no reason not to want the same from others!!
AMAZXING work my friend!

Well carpet party II is done. Without a doubt, the second job came out MUCH better than the first. This is exactly what I had pictured in my head it would look like. Not cheap, but after the first job, well worth the expense.

Carpet is the best grade he can get, some padding & heat shield on the forward floors, tubs covered in a high grade vinyl sewn on the edge and glued in place.

carpet1.jpg

carpet2.jpg

carpet3.jpg

carpet4.jpg

carpet5.jpg

carpet6.jpg

carpet7.jpg

I hope to get the glass people out here Thursday and have an appointment Saturday for a front end alignment and new trailer tires. Next week I'll work on the interior panel install and some maintenance things to get ready to test hopefully on the 25th. I had planned to have the paint sanded & buffed, but will put that off a couple weeks so we can get the car back on the track.

Been following the build from day 1...amazing fabwork and patience!! I to am doing a 79 malibu build which is nothing to this level and I do have a few questions..:)
How were the fiberglass bumpers mounted without any visual external hardware and would you have a contact # for the fiberglass company that built the front bumper. I found the company name and all I could find was pictures
thx and take care

Been following the build from day 1...amazing fabwork and patience!! I to am doing a 79 malibu build which is nothing to this level and I do have a few questions..:)
How were the fiberglass bumpers mounted without any visual external hardware and would you have a contact # for the fiberglass company that built the front bumper. I found the company name and all I could find was pictures
thx and take care

The front bumper is made by Headsup Composits. Eric Kenward is who I purchased the bumper from. He has the Black & Green Malibu wagon sponsored by TRZ that runs X275. You can find Eric on Yellowbullet. TRZ Motorsports is also a dealer for the bumper.

The bumper mounts to the face of the lower front fender where the stock urethane filler corners fastened. You also drill one or two holes in the fender lip to fasten the back edge of the bumper lower valence/chin spoiler.

I'm gonna add a couple braces to the bumper, but my first attempt did not help much at all, so I gotta figure out a different plan of attack.

Thanks for the compliment.

Just a quick update.

Glass was installed yesterday evening. This morning I had new trailer tires installed as well as getting the front end alignment done although he didn't even have to take a wrench to the car.

Next project is some restoration work on the rear interior plastic panels and finish off the interior.

Once that's done, it'll be time to change the trans fluid, oil & filter, reinstall the diaper, check all the bolts and setup the rear suspension and scale the car.

Alot of little things to get done in two weeks so we can try and test on the 25th.