FYI ARP Head Studs for Iron Heads outer studs under valve cover too long.

Here are the pictures of the stud with the head still installed, with the nut on and all the nuts removed. I think everyone could agree that is very close! The head went back on with 2 washers.

,Dan

Thanks for posting this, Dan. Looks like you had about 8 threads showing. From what people are posting, it looks like the nut is bottomed when 10-11 threads are showing. Definitely a little too close for comfort. Since your heads were coming off anyway, it made perfect sense to add another washer.

My car should be coming back from being painted this month. One of the first things I'm going to do is pull the valve covers and count how many threads are showing on these studs. My block is stock (never decked), I used 9441 stock replacement head gaskets, but my heads were milled once (only about .004" or so). I will post the results when I have them.

Without a doubt, I would suggest that anyone installing these studs should just install the extra washer on these locations from day one. Remove all doubt.

I am considering sending an email to ARP with a link to this thread, but I wonder if they would even care?

Just a thought, since many people use these studs, maybe this should be a sticky? If it saves a few people the BS that I and others are going through, might be worth it...

I'm about to assemble my engine very soon. I'm so glad I found this thread! I have the 12pt Stud Kit.

Thanks!

Just to close the loop on this, for me anyway...

I am using the stock, undecked block, 9441 replacement gaskets, and stock heads that have been lightly surfaced once (no more than .005" removed). When I installed the studs, I made sure to turn them into the block until I felt them bottom with light allen wrench pressure.

I just pulled the passenger valve cover, and I was happy to see that only about 7-1/2 threads were exposed above the nut on both the front and rear studs. From what others are posting, the nut is bottomed when there are about 10 to 11 threads exposed above the nut. So, I should have about 2 or 3 threads left to go, which should mean that I'm not bottomed. I'm confident enough that I'm not going to disturb the joint to add another washer.

If I were doing this from scratch, I would put the second washer on there to be safe.

IMAG0220.jpg

I wish I would have figured this out 12 years ago!! How much time was wasted and money spent from replacing HG due to ARP not doing their job, too much.
I recommended to ARP that they use aerospace grade nuts (can't think of what they are called at the moment but they are slightly non-round at the top so when tightened they will not lossen up) with their header studs because the crappy nuts they use loosen again and again due to heat cycles. The rep said Duttwiller never had any trouble with them. Look, if I am in the fastener business and something is not right or can be improved upon why would I not do that unless I didn't care? Makes me want to throw a cylinder head through their window.
Mike

Pulling my motor this week. Seems heads lifted and when pressure checked every cylinder leaks into radiator. No water in oil. Wonder if these studs are cause.

this Fubar, we are using washers and such. for the money spent none of this should be an issue simple bolt and play No Hackery necessarry

I was wrong.. see below check and double-check.

I just installed new arp head studs (3days ago) and this thread was fresh in my mind while bolting everything together so I paid attention. Iron heads and felpro gasket... And I had no issue. I did take extra care to make sure my threads were chased and the studs were bottoming out, but perhaps all blocks are not the same when it comes to thread depth? FYI: there were 3 different length studs in the kit.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that the 4 studs mentioned didn't have threads sticking up more than the others. You really should have added aextra washer each.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ha, well I'll eat my words. My engine is still on the stand so I ventured into the garage and checked. The collar was about even with the bottom of washer. I'd venture to guess my application leaves just enough but it's close any decked block etc would need another washer. I guess it pays to double check ;)