fwd roller and non roller cam parts in gn motor

I would love to see this as well, since I have quite a stash of fwd 3.8 crap that I can't use as of now in my GN. The biggest problem so far is that the lifters from the fwd block will hit the dogbones if you tried to stick them in a 109 block. I was considering getting 2 sets of dogbones, hollowing out the bottom ones and using the ones on the top as guides....but please, I would love info.

here is the info i dunno why it's is a secret and can't be posted.

Originally Posted by 87buickracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87buickracer
1)use lifters from 3100 v6 fwd (1994-96)chevy lumina or van,also 1992 cavalier are the same lifters.you can purchase these from autozone or local salvage yard.

2)Use pushrods from 1986 buick lesabre or park ave non-roller motor 1st year design fwd 3800 v6 or you can use adj push rod checker to get correct length and lifter pre load.

3)nose gear-if running a billet roller cam you can get most of parts from buick 350 v8 or pre 1977 231 v6 odd fire engine.

4)you will need the dog bones and retainers from fwd roller motor.

5)you will need to drill and tap 1 hole on each side of lifter valley to hold retainers.

6)use a 17/64" drill bit and 5/16"x18" tap.also drill hole in retainer.

7)use two 5/16" studs 2" long with 1" spacer and nut to secure retainers over dog bones.

8)after tapping holes on each side of lifter valley,screw in 2" studs,place 1" spacer on stud and bolt on retainer.the 1" spacer will give retainer the proper clearance over lifters and dog bones.

9)these parts are ran by one of our club members and he also runs fwd roller cam that was modified for cam sensor.

10)I will be running these parts with my buick aftermarket roller cam.

Thanks for posting that Slo.
Looks like most of the parts are available without the "performance" part markup. How much cheaper in the long run would this be than an aftermarket conversion set up for the 3.8?

4)you will need the dog bones and retainers from fwd roller motor.

As for the dog bones....so the top of the lifter valley where the dog bones will sit do not have to be machined flat? (like a factory roller small block chevy)

Or does the 109 block have these machined flat already from the factory?

That would be my only concern....though it appears some people are running it with no problems so far. I'd just hate to encounter any problems down the road where it would cost more money to fix than what you saved by not going with the "correct" (read: expensive) roller cam kit.:wink:

Thanks for the info SloGN.

fwd cam parts

will have pictures soon.
The dog bones go over the lifters to keep them from rotating.
As far as price,the lifters are half the price as aftermarket ones and can be
purchased from autozone or your local salvage yard and cleaned.
as for pushrods and cam nose gear,that was already stated.
setting up retainer is pretty easy to do,as long as you have the proper tools.

Dog bones and the retainer...are those available new or junk yard only? Seems pretty simple to me. I may try it on my spare engine.

I bet Vato Zone has the dogbones and the retainers.

A+ thread 87, I would love to see pics of this done.

will have pictures soon.
The dog bones go over the lifters to keep them from rotating.

Yes that I know...I was just wondering if the tops of the lifter bores were machined flat where the dogbones will rest just like on a small block chevy with a factory roller cam. I assume the FWD 3.8 roller block is machined the same way on top of the lifter bores.

After searching and looking at pictures on a 109 block it appears they are not machined flat from the factory. My only concern is the dogbone will not sit perfectly flat on top of the lifter bores...you can imagine what might happen should a lifter "catch" on a dogbone as it travels up. But it appears it's a non issue right now so maybe I'm just being anal.:)

But great job, I think this is a neat alternative to the expensive roller cam kits out there.