Full Throttle Iroc Z edition was OK

Little6pack

Last night they put superchargers in 2 stock 1988 IROC z camaros.
one car did 13.2 at 104. Pretty darn good. So far this was the best show they had.

I only wish they would do a BEFORE & AFTER drag race to see the improvment.

I am Glad the youg guys whipped the dudes my age LOL

They dynoed the cars after the blower install. I didn't catch the very beginning, but it would appear to me they did a before install dyno for a baseline.

Later.

I thought it was ok. I think the white one put 207hp to the wheels before the blower install. Overall, it was one of the nice ones they've done. Better than the 85 GN show. I know that might sound bad, but its my opinion. I feel not just anyone can work on our cars...

Import tuners working on American V-8 cars?? Now thats a switch.:eek: ;)

-S

I thought that the best part of the episode was that it *might* have encouraged the two import guys to have a different opinion on RWD domestic cars. At the end, they seemed like they were going to keep the cars after they "felt the power on the drag strip".

I thought the radiator was a bad call just to have a few runs,maybe to drive around in traffic it would help but seemed like a waste of time for the purpose of their show.The radiator company must've paid them to use them.I would've skipped it right from the start if the oem radiator was in good shape and went for the go fast parts.Didn't the car with the oem radiator win anyway?If the older guys would've skipped it they would've had time for the exhaust and shift kit and it looked like they needed some trans help.

As bad as the show is as a whole, I'm strangely drawn to it... It was cool that the young guys won, but the one with the shaved head was an ass. I'm not sure I'd want either car for more than parts with those guys working on them

O was ok with it except the white car was a 5.7 and the red car was a 5.0 noted by the lack of a 5.7tune port injection emblem on the red car. Oh and it was a t-top so extra weight + the old guys had some weight on them. and they are idiots leave it in drive no drama with the manual shift b.s

the best was the one dope said he could outshift the B&M kit. So they installed the exhaust instead.

I must say I was very impressed with the times, a little more tuning and that car is a 12 sec car. I would have to agree that that was the best show yet.

Originally posted by gn4u2c
O was ok with it except the white car was a 5.7 and the red car was a 5.0 noted by the lack of a 5.7tune port injection emblem on the red car.

It's funny that you mention that. I told my wife that I didn't think the 5.7 was available with T-Tops in 88. I thought 89 was the first year for them. I became even more suspicious when I saw the stock dyno numbers and the white car had 20-30 more hp. I wonder if the "contestants" even knew one was a 305 TPI?

I am pretty sure T-Tops were not an option on the 88 5.7 cars. My friend's brother bought one brand new back in 88. A 5.7 hard top.

I had an 88 Iroc 350 t-top car, I think it may have been that way in 87 though, I think 87 was the first year for the 350
Any one know when this is being rerun?

I caught that last night and was really impressed with the times the white one pulled off. Kinda makes me want to go out and build one similar. If you built up the trans, put in some good gears, and bigger injectors you would have a solid 12 second car. IROCs are famous for overheating when run hard with mods, so maybe the radiator was a good idea for the long run.

I'd really like to know if the red one actually had a 350 or a 305.
I'd also like to know if both cars had the same rear end ratio. 2:77 was standard, but 3:27 was optional. The difference in rear end ratios would have made the difference between the cars.

damn, i wish i could have seen it. Im a thirdgen guy to the core (sorry).

Thats a decent time but my N/A 305 can almost do that, its hit 104.97 trap before :)

oh yeah, there can be a huge variance in options among thirdgens, pre 90 305 autos TPI cars with the exception of 85s are crap because of the cam. To get the good cam you needed to get the 5 speed 305 combo

L98 cars are a force to be reckoned with when properly modded.

I owned an 87 5.7 IROC for 8 years. Loved it to death (literally heheh).

It was obvious when the white one got the new ingnition and the red one didnt who was gonna pull. Not to mention the added weight of the T-Top car.

Mine was a hard top and always walked away from my good friends 88 T-Top car. Both stock.

The show brought back some good memories of cruisin around in my IROC. Who knows ... maybe one day i'll get another. Prolly drop an LC2 in it tho.

It is on Sunday

Tune In: History channel
Sunday, January 9 @ 11pm ET/PT

History heads to the drag strip in this series as popular cars of the past are transformed into fine-tuned machines, revamped and ready for the speedway. Part reality show, part history, Full Throttle lets car lovers get under the hoods of their favorite rides. Two teams are given the same model of car in a similar state of disrepair. Supplied with a garage, tools, and parts, they've got just two days to get their wheels into high gear as they prepare to compete in an all-or-nothing drag race. The winner drives away in both cars; the loser walks away empty-handed; the viewer gets an adrenaline dose of automotive history. In this episode, GM's raging 1988 street machines, Iroc-Z Camaros, get a boost with new superchargers--giving them 70% more horsepower. TVPG cc

pic of my last l98 car .
I watched it again "Tivo"
red one is a 305 white one is a 350

yes my l98 car ran 13.2's with a modded air box K&N filters removed cats flowstopper catback and home porting on the intake maniflod/plenum/runners.

Attachments

• under hood.jpg
    under hood.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 266