28 Years Later???

seedling

Some 28 years ago, I had totaled my truck, saved my money up and I was prepared to be one of the fastest kids in town! I will never forget the bright sunshiny day ride that took the hour and a half to drive (with my dad) from Baton Rouge, LA to a little town called Summit, MS (just over the Louisiana line right next to McComb, MS). Neither of which is a booming metropolis trust me! However, the point being is that we were headed to Day Motors (Chevrolet, Ford and you guessed it Buick). As we pulled into the dealership my eyes instantly found the magnificent gleaming black beauty over in the wash rack that was being prepped just for me! WOW! I couldn’t have been happier! As I had waited a long time for this moment and finally the time had come at last! Or so I thought anyways!

I made no effort to go and talk with the folks coming out to greet us (my dad worked for an affiliate company in Baton Rouge and he had made all the arrangements). So I walked on over to the wash rack (actually I probably ran). And I instantly fell in love with this beautiful piece of art, a 1986 Grand National Regal.

Not long after my dad rambles over and he said are you ready to go and take it for a test drive and I should have said “NO, I wanna buy it right then and there!” However, I eagerly accepted as I couldn’t wait to show my “Hot Rod Dad” what this baby could do, right? I mean, afterall my dad (being a car guy) had owned all manner of Hot Rods when I was growing up. And I grew up with him “Peeling Out”; “Laying a Patch”; “Burning Rubber” around virtually every corner we’d ever meet! So of course I figured dear old dad wanted to see what “Juniors” new steed would do, right? Hmm, the plot thickens……

Well, we made it through the one or maybe it was two red lights in this Podunk little town and finally I saw my chance! It was Interstate 55 and I took the very tight / very steep little “Clover Leaf On Ramp” to the Interstate and as soon as I hit the exit, I jumped on it! That’s right I matted the accelerator and that black beauty started to spin (and the pitch of the on ramp made for the perfect “drift car sideways move”). Meaning that we rode all the way up the On Ramp sideways and spinning the tires the whole way.

Now prior to my little 84 Toyota Truck (that was just totaled when someone ran a red light on me), I had previously had a 1980 Z-28 (that I hopped up and it would move quite well). So it is not like this was my first go fast goody or the like. Although it was light years faster than that Z-28 ever dreamed of being (ON IT’S VERY BEST LITTLE MID 14 SECOND DAY). At any rate, I don’t remember much else about the ride itself, but what came next was devastating to me for years to come!

You see, when we got back to the dealership my dad went inside ahead of me. Then he came out a few minutes later and he told me to come in there that they had some “BAD NEWS”. Which I figured might be that my payment might be going up or something I didn’t know! However, it was far worse than that! In that, he told me that I could not get insurance on the Grand National. At which point he tells me that it is rated higher than the Corvette! To which I responded but Mom had already checked with the agent and they said that I could and I know that I can afford the insurance as well.

But alas, my dad stood firm on his assertion and he asked that I go find a “New Car”! But who wants anything else? I mean, I came to get the Buick and I had planned on being Tarzan, King of the Asphalt Jungle! But nope, my dad said that I had to pick out another., So I said I know that I can afford that Vette right there then so how about that. He said, oh no insurance is too high on it too. Then I said well lets go down to the Ford Dealership and get a Mustang. Oh no he said that is too high too! Well what was left a freaking cavalier or what?

Folks I drove home in a then brand new black 1986 Monte Carlo SS (and I was sick about it the whole way)! I mean can you imagine buying a brand new car and being sick about it? Well, I was and I did! Even harder was the fact that my friends all had Mustangs, IROC’s and one even had a Grand National as well. So I knew that I was doomed to be the slowest kid on the block.

Now I lived with that stigma (wanting a Grand National the whole time) for twenty some odd years. Then one day at a family gathering my aunt and uncle were down from Shreveport (and they have owned since new a 1987 Grand National which I have taken out once over the years). Well, my dad had apparently had a few too many brewskies that day and he let it slip that he had lied to me about the whole “No Insurance Deal with The Grand National”. Which ignited about 20 years of rage inside me and we didn’t speak for months even!

And for those who would judge me (for not speaking to my dad) then let me just tell you that whenever my dad was around the same age (that I was when buying the Grand National) he had one of only 500 some odd Boss 429 Mustangs! That’s right it was OK, for my dad, to own a 1969 Hemi Headed Boss 9, but it just would not do when his son went to get a Grand National! Uhh yeah okay I smell what you are stepping in! NOT!!

Fast forward some 28 years from that fateful day in 1986 and my Uncle is now 75 (who owns the 87 Grand National). And when I find out that it has been sitting for the past three years? Well, nothing doing I have to have it, right? Not so fast their slicky boy, you still have to convince your Uncle you know? So it took some finagling and I’m still not real sure what kind of a deal it was exactly! But, I do know that I have a 1987 Grand National sitting in the garage with 91,000 miles on it that is a true survivor car!

Come to find out when I went to get it, the car has been sitting since 2007. So I have done a lot of Spring Cleaning and now I may need a fuel pump (and perhaps a power master) but I know she runs and she sounds great. Although without a fuel pump she will only do so on 02 friendly carb cleaner right now! However, that is how I came about the “Ultimate Barn Find”; my very onw “Family Heirloom”! And to be honest with you folks I’m not so sure that this car doesn’t mean even more to me than the one that slipped through my fingers! So the truth be told I may be even more tickled today than I almost was some 28 years ago!

Oh and before my mom and dad road up to get the car with me. My dad had text me the night before and asked if I had checked on the insurance or not? (I promptly told him not to talk to anyone up there until this deal was done this time)! LOL! It has been a journey, but I’ve finally made the ranks of The Infamous Grand National!
In The Garage.jpg
In The Garage.jpgIn The Sun 1st in 7 Years II.jpgIn The Sun 1st in 7 Years I.jpgIn The Sun 1st in 7 Years III.jpgDirty On The Trailer IV.jpgSecond Peak At Interior As It Was IS.jpgInterior First View I.jpgInterior First View.jpgLast Inspection.jpgRinsed Off On Trailer.jpgIn The Garage.jpgIn The Sun 1st in 7 Years II.jpgIn The Sun 1st in 7 Years I.jpgIn The Sun 1st in 7 Years III.jpgDirty On The Trailer IV.jpgSecond Peak At Interior As It Was IS.jpgInterior First View I.jpgInterior First View.jpgLast Inspection.jpgRinsed Off On Trailer.jpg

An Astro Roof as well !!
Nice story to go with the car...thanks for sharing

Bryan

Thanks Phone guy and 626GN! I can't wait to take it to the track and see what she'll do! The car has a few mods (bigger turbo / Intercooler, wallered out cat, hot chip, firestone air bags, BCG boost control, some sort of torque strap and I think that's it). Anyways I'm really excited / enthused about the car that's for sure! I LOVE IT!!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Well congrats and welcome! What a great story. Sounds like Dad was just worried about ya. Looks like you have a couple of things to get sorted but enjoy the ride! Let us know once you get it running and you may want to look into a TurboTweak chip as the older ones leave a lot to be desired in the drivability dept. Jon

Thanks jahnson1750! And yes sir my dad may have been worried, but then again you have to remember that at the same age, he owned the venerable BOSS 429 (which I know for a fact would break the tires loose at 70mph on the interstate)! So his whole thought process is more than just a little skewed, if you ask me? <<Not to be political, but I do believe in the freedoms that come with being an American and that kind of hypocritical thinking is much akin to the federal government telling me that I have to buy health insurance!>> And that just isn't right (in my opinion). However, it's too late now because now that I have it, I'm never going to turn it loose, no matter what!

As far as getting it going, I'm moving slowly and very methodically right now. In that, I could have it up and running right now, to be forth right about it. However, I had been following the "Spring Cleaning" methods (and then some). And in so doing I was clearing the cylinders of lubricant concoction when one of my cylinder oil catch rags blew out (spewing my own home brew mixture of Mobil 1 - 10w30 and Marvel Mystery Oil all over the driver's fender well). So that is what was wrong with the power master! And while I thought that I had cleaned the lubricant stuff up pretty good, however some of it must have seeped into the power master brake connections (which of course did cause a little smoke). Although I shut her down immediately and went to investigate! So that is when I figured out that fuel pump wasn't working and I even tried the gray wire behind the alternator work around to no avail either though. Therefore I'm fairly confident that the fuel pump is gone. But, I won't know for sure until I drop the tank.

However, knowing that the brakes on this car were an issue already (the power master would not hold the car in a launch situation). Therefore once I saw a little smoke from the lubricant concoction seeping into the brakes then I decided that I need to go ahead and take a look at the brakes (before I even took off in it)! And once I delved into it and discovered that it was only what like one 25 or 30 amp fuse between me and stopping? YIKES! Well, that's when I decided that I needed to look into this hard and heavy. And once again the power master brakes on the car have been virtually trouble free on the car. However, the fluid lubricant concoction seeping into the connection alerted me to something that I had little awareness of prior to.

So I have been thoroughly researching the best way to approach the whole brake issue. Although there is no sense in starting it if I can't drive it. However, I went ahead and cleaned all of lubricant out of the connections and I am quite sure that the brake are fine now (no more smoke when I turned on the key after days of thoroughly cleaning the connections). But, it is just that nagging suspicion of the Power Master system that has me concerned! Because I don't want to go slow, you know! All of which is why I haven't dropped the tank and installed the new pump! I am tempted to order the hot wire kit and upgrade the pump and add that fancy billet regulator as well. While I'm figuring out how to go about hydroboost and all of that.

So Turbo Tweak chip huh? Where do I get one? I know it needs a few other upgrades as well. And I have some stuff that my uncle can't remember anymore that I may have to ask you all about as well. In that, the car has some Bowling Green Customs upgrades (larger intercooler and some weird looking boost switch under the hood). I know it is supposed to have a larger / GNX Turbo on it and it has had this upgrade for a long, long time now too though (which I assume is some sort of "No No"). Although my uncle is very tight lipped about it in that he won't even tell where he got it nor how he got it (I guess back in the day you needed a GNX VIN Code to order any GNX Parts)?

The car came with a set of MHT Racemasters (on super lite wheels) and a box full of parts and stuff (I have all of the original items such as the intercooler, stock airbox, etc.). I even have every little part or piece that came off the car period (as in relays or replacement parts, etc.). However, I still have yet to find the scanmaster and the alcohol injection thingy that he said was in the box. So I may have to go back up there and crawl around the Grand National's attic again to see if I can find this stuff!

Anyways, thanks again folks! I'm just extremely happy to even be here!!!! :happy:

Happy, Happy!!!!

cool story- on age alone Id ditch the power master regardless of it working now or not. Sooner than later it will suddenly not be there when you need it most, so either talk to a PM expert (kirban?) , Go vacuum , an inexpensive simple conversion or convert to hydroboost a little expensive, but less expensive than replacing the powermaster with a quality rebuilt unit.

www.turbotweak.com is the website. The owners name is Eric Marshall and he has been in the buick game a long time. There are a couple of others out there that make a good product but that's what I run as well as a lot of folks on this board. Scanmaster is your friend! Most of us know how to read the numbers posted by others when help is needed. I also run alkycontrol owned by Don Julio, he's a great guy to speak with and lots of help if your having issues you can't sort out. The only recommendations I would give is get the brakes sorted and know your tune is safe before you take it to the track. Seen a lot of "new to Buick guys" break things that were fine trying to push to hard on a bad tune. I hope you have a great time with the new car. Jon

Thanks gsgnnut! And I'm thinking the hydro set up is for me! I'm a Jeep guy and I like the old ones even more so than the new ones! The newest Jeep I have a is a '98 TJ (although it does have an LS1 in it and it only weighs 3,400 lbs with big wheels and tires on it). So it is quite the sleeper! Point being is I've had to become fairly adapt at sorting things out with older vehicles. And I've spent the whole weekend researching the hydro set ups (which seems to be the way to go) and sooner rather than later.

Thanks again jhanson1750! And I'm in total agreement with you too! In that, while I would love nothing more than to throw a pump in this thing and be off to the races. However, the smart thing to do is to take my time and sort it out right the first time. So I'm trying to be patient and going right down the list. Unfortunately my uncle is 75 years old now and he is slower to remember all of the little mods and why, but we are working on it daily. It is just taking more time than I would like, however just like the brakes, I want her right so that I don't brake anything nor hurt anyone!

My original goal was to have the car ready for the track by Easter weekend as my uncle wants to drive it one last time (or so he says)! And I wanted to be able to afford him that privilege, as it would be an honor to me! However, I may be a little shy of my goal if I have to convert the brakes and the like! That is, unless I continue to get such good advice like this! So again thanks for the link and trust me I am all ears and willing to listen to anything that anyone has to say (within reason). And in reading through the info on your car and a couple of the others that I have responded then I know that I'm getting the right information! <<I have some "Fast Friends" so I would love to eventually run 11's!>> Maybe not as low as yours (as 11.015 is outstanding) I'd be afraid of bumping that close to the 10's as I don't want to have to cage the car. But as long as I can hang with my buddies then I'll be alright! Again thanks for the advice and points well taken! And I think that we are on the same page as I want to sort the car out first before I go and screw something up here.

Great story. We are also very passionate about these cars. Can't wait to hear more about this time capsule.
Congrats on being part of this automotive legend. It was destined to happen...

Happy Spooling.
Mike Barnard

Thanks dartguy, fatpig and spool fool! Yeah this things really got me all wrapped up! I'm like a little kid again! In that, I go to bed thinking about it, I wake up thinking about it! Consumed to say the least!

Also I need to pick up a pump for it and I'm not real sure which one go get just yet? I looked at Kirban's pump (and I want to do the hot wire kit at the same time). However, then I'm not so sure if I won't need that fancy billet fuel pressure regulator too or no? Anybody have any ideas??
(I don't want to go too far over board cause I'm wanting to do the hydro conversion now too as I don't like the whole power master concept)!!

Congrats on the purchase and an awesome story...

I can understand the "anger" you may have had towards your father and while I am not sure if that is compounded by other life events, you should realize that he was just trying to protect his kid. Even if he did have a Boss Mustang at the same age, I would have whipped out the ban stick really fast had my son pulled a stunt like that with a brand new car while I was in it.

Best of luck with the car!

LOL! I hear ya Supermario! However, you really gotta know my dad though! I mean, he was the peel out, pop a wheelie king, when I was kid! And all my buddies knew it too!

Plus I was almost twenty years old at the time! So it never occurred to me that I was doing anything wrong! And most assuredly nothing that he wouldn't have been doing with me! You see, the hypocrisy here is that every time he got a new hot rod. The first thing he did was to show us "what it would do!"

So like father like son, right? I mean you have heard the old saying, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, haven't you? Well, the thing is that you have to lead by example when you take on the parenting role! Therefore he should have never peeled out around every corner and raced from red light to red light when I was kid then (if he didn't want me doing the exact same thing)! So if the truth be told, then he shouldn't be punishing me for his sins!

The good news is that I'm over it now, well, sort of! <<It is still a sore subject but it is getting better!>> And the fact that I have my aunt and uncle's car really means a whole lot more to now than the 86 would have meant to me back then! However, that doesn't mean that I wasn't sick about not getting it!

I mean, can u imagine what a drag that was? In that, my friends were all scared to death as they all knew that I was coming home to be crowned KING (they all had Mustangs, IROIC's, Carroll Shelby Daytona's and the like)! And only one of them had a GN! But instead I came home in a Monte Carlo SS and nothing against that car as it was nice. However, it had nothing on the Grand National! Anyways! Thanks for the welcome and luck!!