History Channel - Full Throttle 85 GN

cwmccray

Undercover TURBO Brother
I had insomnia and could not sleep last night. I put in the History Channel DVD and watched the Full Throttle GN. This was even FUNNIER now than then. The Butt Brother's were hilarious. Southern Cal is full of EXPERTS that could have helped with the GN's. Duttweiller was close. Lou over in Lake Forest. Mike Doyle. I could name off people, even Jim Bell:mad:.

Here are the critical mistakes:
* Still running clutch fan
* Stock radiator
* Stock Chip with 30lb injectors
* Stock fuel pump
* Did not set TPS, set Cam sensor, adjust FP or hot wire pump

Ironically they did change turbo, headers, tranny/convertor, injectors and added intercooler. The Butt Brother's could not tune my lawnmower. They had both cars running 15lb of boost. They race both cars. One car ran a 14.37 and the other ran a 17.00 with a bad regulator. Lets look at the 14.37 @ 95. The ran at the old LACR that has a track elevation of 2710ft. The conversion factor is .9679 = 1.0339, thus 14.37 x .9679= 13.91. Sadly the did not run both cars before they modded them. The GNX ran 13.70's from factory. Popular Hot Rodding did a similar project (with Kenne Bell) with SAME results but ran 13.97's corrected for elevation, 13.70.

The thing that caught my eye was the same critical mistakes as the above:
* Stock radiator
* Stock Chip with 30lb injectors
* Stock fuel pump
* Did not set TPS, set Cam sensor, adjust FP or hot wire pump

Yet in 1985, Duttweiler ran 12.70's
ScannedImage.jpg
ScannedImage-3.jpg
ScannedImage-2.jpg
ScannedImage-4.jpg

He ran 12's in his H/K Stock 85 GN with less parts. He used a 3" downpipe, 206 Crane cam-his design, Corvette injectors (30lbs), blueprinted engine and oiling, TH350, 4.56 gears. The 85 ECM gave him fits. He dynoed 374hp @24lbs and edged it up to 30lbs and got 410hp. But ECM gremlins only let him run 12's at 17lbs before the 1986 GN even came out.

The point of this post is TUNING. You can THROW money at it, but the tune is what is going to make any run...

Last edited:
the buick with the black grill was sold after the show aired 2 years ago and a person in rockford, il bought it. and it didn't start or run, so i went over and looked at the car and oooooooooooooooo my did they butcher the car up!!!!!!

harness was all kinds of spliced and there was not much of a exhaust, just a dump behind the right front wheel. the chip pins ware all smashed and bent not making contact with the computer. a hacked in MSD ignition system inbetween the coil and module, all vacuum lines were in a box with other needed parts. so after a few hours sorting out, setting sensors, and removing unneeded stuff got the car running. then the car was sold as the owner didnt want to mess with the car anymore.