Fuel Level Sensor Problem

86GNER

I have just filled my GN up with gas for the first time since buying it. The digital guage read about 4 gallons at the time and was going down. Hence, I filled the tank with premium fuel. After the fill-up, the guage read "F" (full). I have now driven the car 70 miles since and the guage is still reading "F". Is there a fuel guage sensor in the tank that reads the level of fuel? Is it normal for the "F" to remian a long time before the digital guage starts to show a lower fuel level? Is the fuel level sensor bad or should I wait to see if the guage starts to read a lower level after a few more miles? Where is the sensor located? FYI, my dash is a factory digital dash. All help would be appreciated. Thanks.

sensor is located in fuel tank it is a float and i would think it would work as a regular gauge panel that i have in mine does, if ya need a replacement check with gbodyparts, because i believe they do not produce these through gm or autozone or the like.

Thats normal for a digital dash. It may go longer depending on how much you top the tank at. I've driven 150 miles before it dropped off of Full. Its not exactlly linear in its reading. I would be worried if it still read 4 gallons and it was sucking fumes.

Be careful cuz when I bought mine it would run out of fuel at 4 gallons. It has since been adjusted and now actually has 3 gallons when the guage shows 3 gallons.

Try some emergency hard braking and sharp corners in a safe area or parking lot.

Float is stuck up most likely.

You should be able to hear it sloshing around in the tank back there if you do it right.

That may free up the arm.

At 70 miles it should read 14-16 gallons.

You might have to clean the sending unit in the tank. I had to do that in order to get my stock gauge. PM if you need written instructing. Brad

Interesting. Once I hit about 80 miles, the guage went down finally to about 17 gallons and then quickly dropped to 15 and 16 gallons. I did notice that when I filled the taNK (WHICH IS ORIGINAL), I put in over 20 gallons. I thought the tank was only 18 or 19 gallons. Not sure if the gas station ripped me off. Can the fill tube hold a lot of gas? This may explain why the guage remained at full so long. Can anyone tell me what the approximate range of a full tank is on a fully stock 86 GN ? Thanks.

The factory tank is 18.1 gallons.

I don't think you could fit 2 quarts in the filler neck.

Somethings fishy with the 20 gallons that's for sure. :eek:

Range pretty much depends on your right foot. ;)