Front License Plate Bracket

Bob Smith

My car didn't come with a front bracket, so I recently purchased one. What bolts are used to attach the bracket to the bottom side of the bumper? Pictures would be great.
Thanks

I believe they just used self-tapping "drill" style screws. Bought my GN from original owner who had never put on front plate bracket and there weren't any threads in the holes on the bottom of the bumper. However there is plenty of room behind it if you use a very small bolt/nut.

There's no bracket on the front bumper that I know of and I bought my GN new in 87...2 nylon pieces(circular shaped) snap into the 2 top square holes in the bumper...the license plate is held on with 2 screws that go into the nylon pieces...should be able to get the nylon inserts at the dealer...I would think they are pretty standard...but then again you never know with these cars...

Attachments

• plate.JPG
    plate.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 478
There is a bracket, not sure what kind of option it was, maybe only delivered on GNs that went to states that req'd a front plate? There are two very small holes that are on the bottom middle of the front bumper for the bracket to bolt to, and that bracket gives you two more mounting areas for those square nylon pieces to snap into, giving you a 4 bolt area to mount a plate. Found one...

Mine had the bracket... It's just a 90 degree bent bracket that bolts to the bottom underside of the bumper and grabs the two lower lic plate holes.

DSC078352.jpg

I think they are primarily found on cars originally titled in states that require a front and rear plate. They would have been installed at the dealer before the car was delivered to the first owner. My car came from NJ... and the front bracket is an original factory piece.

Thanks guy's , yes that's the bracket I have. I would like to mount it with the correct screws/bolts. Anyone have a picture of the bottom side of theirs with the original mounting fastners?

I think they are primarily found on cars originally titled in states that require a front and rear plate. They would have been installed at the dealer before the car was delivered to the first owner. My car came from NJ... and the front bracket is an original factory piece.

Mmmm not sure...I bought my GN brand new in '87 and it did come with the front license plate bracket (it was in a package in the trunk) although we do not have front license plates in Quebec. So this makes me think that all GN's must have had the bracket when new, but the only explanation I can think of, is that some dealers did not install them unless needed in their area and threw them away...:rolleyes:

Claude.:)

The front license plate bracket was an option-just like new GM cars today when you build it on their site you can select a front license plate bracket-as other said if not front plate was used it just had the 2 plastic circles.-I believe it was a no cost option just as today-Also my car had it since it was originally from NJ, but it also had the 2 round ones on the top.

Here is a tidbit of info. The option code for the front license plate bracket was VK3 and it was a no charge option. It came in an envelope with the part number as you see below when the cars were sold new.

Attachments

• Picture 247.jpg
    Picture 247.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 413
Thanks Herb, that's neat. Great information. Was anything else included in the envelope? Did each individual dealer use thier own screws/bolts for mounting?

I believe I read in something from Kirban once that the bolts were in the envelope with the bracket.....if you need the bolts alot of regular regals have them in the junk yard with the bracket. I have gotten about 5 or 6 of them, and sold them on ebay.

Mmmm not sure...I bought my GN brand new in '87 and it did come with the front license plate bracket (it was in a package in the trunk) although we do not have front license plates in Quebec. So this makes me think that all GN's must have had the bracket when new, but the only explanation I can think of, is that some dealers did not install them unless needed in their area and threw them away...:rolleyes:

Claude.:)

You're right, Claude. My '87 GN had the front bracket in the trunk also, when my late Dad bought it new. The dealer forgot to put it on, it was sold here in Virginia, (two plate state), then when Dad got the car repainted in 2001, the painter lost the bracket. I've since aquired one from the junkyard, paid $15 for it, repainted it gloss black. On my window sticker it says PRO VK3, front license plate mounting and next to that it says in the price column "no charge." The bolts are metric that go onto a clip with threads in the clip and this clips onto the bumper edge I believe, but correct me if I'm correct.:rolleyes: You can get the white square screw holders anywhere, as in the Help section of auto parts stores, and even from Walmart.:frown:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Anyone know where I can get the thicker, round nylon screw holders that snap into the upper holes? The parts stores have the white square ones for the bottom screws but not the round ones.
Thanks