Front Air Dam

Race Jace

Research, New Tech and Development
Staff member
How about if someone makes a front air dam that is solid kinda like the hot airs out of plastic for guys with front mount intercoolers. i think this would be sweet and make it look semi stock.

I never looked the "empty" look of the stock 86-87 dams with a frontmount, so I scrounged up an 85 air dam as soon as I could and put it on my 86. I think lots of people would like one.

I put the Tranny Cooler right in that open space(flat)
Looks like it belongs there-gets plenty of air
Had new Steel Braided Lines made-looks awesome
FRED

who would be a good company that would be capable of doing this project and more importantly who would be interested in doing this for these old buicks?

Not really sure...

I always planned to build one, possibly out of fiberglass or maybe even aluminum and powdercoat.

I just have not gotten to that point yet, and would rather purchase then spend the time..

That is a good question...

The trouble with aluminum or fiberglass for a daily driver is the inevitable curb or driveway entrance scrape. They need to be flexible like the stockers. Jason, maybe contack Lyle at Lotek, now http://www.gaugepods.com/ He makes the gauge pods and should be able to help you select a material, process, and vendor.

Jason,

Let me know what you find out. I would be interested in possibly 3 of them.

Thanks

I was going to keep my stock air deflectors and have a scoop fabricated for the center (where the stock one was). There was also a deflector that ran across the rad support that I had to take out. I can only guess that it worked in conjunction with the deflectors mounted on the bumper. Dunno.

I put my trans cooler in that 'hole' in the middle so I was just going to put a scoop there.

Jim

if somone finds me a nice origional one ill attampt to make a mold and use a flexible rubber material to make these. if there was enough intrest i could prolly make a couple hundred of them.

i was going to make heater boxes for non AC guys but everyone wanted like 200$ for a decent box- im not putting out alot of money.

if somone finds me a useable one for cheap ill do it. fiberglass would be easier because the mold wouldnt have to be as smooth- you can always sand out imperfections- the rubber ones would have to be a perfect mold and would prolly take a good 2-3 weeks to make a perfect mold.

if you guys are interested let me know- if somone does the leg work of trying to track down one ill do it- im not out to make any big $$ either, just be compensated for my time.

andrew

i beleive that one is a stock 86-87 peice with aluminum riveted between them to make a scoop then the whole thing is fiberglassed?

ajt86 said:
i beleive that one is a stock 86-87 peice with aluminum riveted between them to make a scoop then the whole thing is fiberglassed?

According to the guy that posted the pic, it's a Kenne Bell piece. They don't make it anymore. I'd slap one of those on in a heartbeat.

Jim

Air Dam

Jason,
A friend of Mine and I have contemplated this also. I started a design using 3-D solid works software. Getting the design that everyone would desire would be the difficult part in my opinion, and me finding the time to finish the design has been a little challenging.

My friend thought it should be similar in appearance to the hot air cars, maybe a little taller. He also thought it should have the same finish as the OEM piece so it would not require painting. My opinion was, it should be smooth with an opening off to one side that would let air flow into an aftermarket air filter system. It should also look a little more exotic than the OEM piece, and require painting. It could be done either way, however if no painting is to be obtained the part must be made so that it is UV resistant and wont fade when exposed to the suns rays, which would increase the cost of the part.

I am an engineer professionally and currently have a long list of many plastic components that I have designed. My first engineering job out of school was for an automotive conversion company called Centurion Vehicles. While employed with Centurion Vehicles I designed many plastic wheel flares and front air dams for the trucks they manufactured.

This is a perfect opportunity in my opinion for vac forming, however the tooling cost may be rather expensive. I have three plastic vendors that I deal with regularly at my place of employment currently. I have developed a really good relationship with one of them, and have tossed the idea around in my head about having them quote me a tool for my rough design (just so I could make a better decision on whether to pursue this or not). I wonder what the cost of this air dam would have to be in order for it to become a popular piece?