Freeze12

T-top87GN

The Buick Manual CD Guy
Hey guys, just wondering your opinion on this stuff. I know it has been covered here before. In fact this is the place I first heard about the stuff.

But now that it's been a while, how do you guys like it that have been using for a while?

My car needs charged and so does my wife's Galant VR4. So I'm looking to get this done real soon. The wife wants her's fixed yesterday! :eek:

I have been using it for over 4 years in two turbo Buicks with no trouble. Both cars have to be topped off every other year.

Gary:)

Great! This is what I want to hear! :D

So what all seals and valves should I change? I figure just change everything to help stave off leaks?

You know most of those R-12 replacment refrigerants are just propane, and they do work pretty well, just remember you have a couple lbs of explosive running through your A/C system.

Originally posted by cwelk87gn
You know most of those R-12 replacment refrigerants are just propane, and they do work pretty well, just remember you have a couple lbs of explosive running through your A/C system.

FWIW, Freeze-12 is non-flammable.

I put a couple cans in my GN last summer, it worked great for me!

Pete

Well, looks like I will be making an order this week then!

Is it worth it to invest in some nice gauges?

Freeze 12 is NOT flamable... but you have to have the same liscense to buy it as you do r12 (unless you have a friendly supplier :D ).

I have heard from many sources it is a direct replacement for the r12. They say you are NOT supposed to mix the two but I have known many people that have, and have not had a problem.

Originally posted by AZ Vic
Freeze 12 is NOT flamable...
And neither is R12 or R134 until they are in your system with the oil, then they are all flammable!!!!!

As far as running Propane, there are numerous different blends of it along with butane being used all over the world (Europe, Asia, Australia) with no reported cases of fires or explosions. As a matter of fact, R134 has had a few cases of explosions simply due to the extremely high pressures and temperatures it runs at which bring it to an explosive level.

If you are really worried about a propane explosion, see how well you do with a gas grill, close the lid and try to light it. Bet the best you can do is a simple "WOOF" which might even rattle the lid, not send it skyborn.

If you believe all of Dupont and the Governments propaganda about R12 being hazardous to the environment and Hydrocarbon refrigerants being explosive, go ahead and pay through the nose to be warm with R134, otherwise do as the rest of the world does and use a hydrocarbon refrigerant and save same some money and probably get better gas mileage as well.

Do your research before flaming me though.

I can't imagine any of the refrigerants are any more flamable than the gas tank out back or the alcohol tank up front. :D

The reason it might work better than R134a is that is probably matching the correct pressure drops needed in the R12 system. Unless you do a full R134a retrofit, it won't work aswell because the system can't pressurize the high side enough and then drop it far enough through the POA valve or equivilent to get the kind of coolling you are used to with R12. I'm going R134a on mine, but its a full hybrid system anyway so I'll just convert over when I pressurize it.

Originally posted by 1badTTA
And neither is R12 or R134 until they are in your system with the oil, then they are all flammable!!!!!

As far as running Propane, there are numerous different blends of it along with butane being used all over the world (Europe, Asia, Australia) with no reported cases of fires or explosions. As a matter of fact, R134 has had a few cases of explosions simply due to the extremely high pressures and temperatures it runs at which bring it to an explosive level.

If you are really worried about a propane explosion, see how well you do with a gas grill, close the lid and try to light it. Bet the best you can do is a simple "WOOF" which might even rattle the lid, not send it skyborn.

If you believe all of Dupont and the Governments propaganda about R12 being hazardous to the environment and Hydrocarbon refrigerants being explosive, go ahead and pay through the nose to be warm with R134, otherwise do as the rest of the world does and use a hydrocarbon refrigerant and save same some money and probably get better gas mileage as well.

Do your research before flaming me though.

I read not too long ago where they are developing systems to work with nitrogen at 2200 psi overseas... :eek:

I get 38* at the vent on max/rec, at an idle, with 110* ambient on my 134. I am fine with it.

I've used Freeze12 for about 4 years in my '79 TA without any problems, and have mixed a few cans in my GN and TTA with no problems. I bought 2 cases of it thru a group TB.com purchase and it didn't require any kind of special license as mentioned above.... I it was not purchased thru the group purchase though I would have had to take a simple on-line test/cert before buying it...but nothing requiring a licensed tech to buy.
Using R134 in a R12 system does not yield very good results...but R134 used in todays cars with the correct compressor cools just as well as R12 did ..at least it does in all my cars, my cars with R134 are cooler than the R12 or Freeze12 cars.

Actually the reason that converted R134 cars don't cool nearly as good as R12 cars is that the condenser needs to be much larger for R134 to work OK. It is just a much less efficient refrigerant that operates at higher pressures and temperatures, which also makes it more dangerous.

Newer cars are designed with larger condensers which is why it works ok in them.

I've got my license so buying it is not a problem.

Sounds like I just need to get a leak detector kit and then repair the leak and recharge.

Anyone have a list of seals and o-rings that they would replace on the GN before recharging a system?

Originally posted by T-top87GN
Great! This is what I want to hear! :D

So what all seals and valves should I change? I figure just change everything to help stave off leaks?

Jer:

I use it at work and it works well. Not as cold as R12 IMHO, but a good DROP IN replacement, and it hasnt damaged any equipment so far.

Go for it!

Jim

Heya Jim, good to hear from ya!

I'm going to go ahead and order the stuff tomorrow. Does the UV leak kit work that well?

IMHO, UV dye is the ONLY way to find leaks. You'll need a black light and some "ambervision" type glasses to see the dye. Well, dont need the glasses, but they really make the dye stand out better. Theyre like shooting glasses...yellow lenses. Without them, small leaks are reallllly hard to see.