Freeze Plug Inside Block

tscruggs

1KWIKGN
FINALLY putting the engine together - got the pistons in, etc and noticed a rattle - the engine shop I bought the block from had knocked one of the freeze plugs into the block and put the new freeze plugs in - the engine is mounted on a stand - the plug is on the right side of the engine in the water jacket area - what is the easiest method to retrieve it - I can bring it to the top with a magnet but cannot squeeze or pry it through the narrow slit :mad: :confused: - PLEASE HELP I am ready to get it back on the road:cool:

Can you catch the edge of it w/ a piar of vise grips and pull it back throu the f/p hole?

you need to knock one of the new freeze plugs out- pound it into the block, and pull it back up to the hole as far as yo ucan by hand. then grab a channel lock and pry it out of there. then do the same with the one that is buried inside the block.
throw both of them away- they are junk now.
get a new plug and pound it in with a socket that is a little smaller than the inside diameter of the plug- if you do it with a socket that fits snug, then it will get stuck in the plug whne you pound it in.

method for plug removal

I wonder what would happen if you left it alone?

To get it out though I would use a punch to gingerly knock one side of the freeze plug in. What you want is for the freeze plug to rotate on the opening so it doesn't fall into the block. Then use a pry bar, lady finger, channel locks, vice grips to pull it out. As for the one that is lost you probably need to know where in the block it is so you don't have to know out all your plugs then tilt the block to get it to fall to your freeze plug hole.

I really do wonder what the harm would be in leaving it. I wonder if the waterpump flows enough to pick that cap up and force it into a waterway resulting in a blockage.

i've found freeze plugs inside of engines i've rebuilt before. all they do is sit at the bottom of the water jacket.

I am leery to leave it in. Seems like at some point it could/would restrict water flow. I can't get to the freeze plugs with the engine on the stand. I guess I will have to put take the engine off the stand pop out a plug, dig out the stuck plug, and replace. I was hoping for an easier solution. THANK Y'ALL!

Installed hundreds of block heaters in the 80s at dealer ship..many times we could not get the frost plugs out due to location of plug...and i was in a hurry ..SO WE LET THE PLUG DROP TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BLOCK