Frame Differences

86BuickT

Just checking to see from the people that have dealt with it before, but any noticeable/noteable differences between 81-88 Regal turbo & non-turbo v6 frames? Differences between 81-88 Regal v8 & v6 frames? I was wanting to prep/paint a non-turbo v6 frame and just swap the painted frame for my t-type frame.

Thanks

The early ones don't have the trany frame mount for the 2004R tranny so it has to be added. Other than that they're pretty much the same.

The early ones don't have the trany frame mount for the 2004R tranny so it has to be added. Other than that they're pretty much the same.

this holds true for all G body frames- 78-81 won't have the mount for the overdrive trans, but they are all the same otherwise with maybe minor differences in bracing from year to year or even just frame to frame.

By Trans mount do you mean the Crossmember for the 2004R? Isn't that what the transmission sits on anyway. If so they can be bolted in with no problem. If doing the frame swap make sure you change over all of the fuel plumbing.
Good luck

By Trans mount do you mean the Crossmember for the 2004R? Isn't that what the transmission sits on anyway. If so they can be bolted in with no problem. If doing the frame swap make sure you change over all of the fuel plumbing.
Good luck

no , the frame for the 2004r has a mounting point welded to the frame rail for the 2004r cross member to sit on , its further back than earlier frames for th350/200c that let the crossmember rest up on the front frame section before the side rails .
the 2004r mount on frame is further back about where the driver seat bolts in
you can easily remove the mount from the turbo frame and reweld it to an earlier frame

youll also have to transfer the v6 frame mounts (perches) for the motor , the v6 is different from the v8s and they bolt in

i think the overdrive trans crossmember bolts to the same location as a non overdrive crossmember on the passenger side, with the extra mounting point farther back on the driver's side.

Thanks Paulie I did not know that bit of info. If you did have an older frame could you just move /reweld the trans bracket on the crossmember then to make it work. Might have to use another transmission rubber mount though.

i think the overdrive trans cross member bolts to the same location as a non overdrive cross member on the passenger side, with the extra mounting point farther back on the driver's side.

This is correct. The location for the overdrive is about 8 inches behind the end of the boxing of the front section.