Found a nice surprise..

rob350

The car restoration has been going pretty good. Ran into this though.

Picture288.jpg

I knew it was under there, but didn't think it would be that bad. :frown:

Oh well, just a little hang up. :biggrin: Does anyone have any pictures of this section minus the rust? I want to see what it looks like.

Thanks,

Rob

Wow! I should take a look at mine. My tops have been leaking for years. I never drive it in the rain, but I do wash it. When I first got the car (in '99) it was fine. I wonder what 8 years has done?

Jim

thats why I am glad I live in the south and only drive on nice days and wash maybe once a year ;)

Yikes! Are you going to find a donor roof or something? I knew I didn't want a t-top car, and that is the main reason.

Yikes! Are you going to find a donor roof or something? I knew I didn't want a t-top car, and that is the main reason.

going to fabricate a new section. The car has been out of the rain for months and when I took the old weather stripping off, water came out! :eek:

if all else fail apply POR-15 AND POR-PATCH'S we use it on escalators and it kills rust on the spot.

Yikes! :eek:

the images of the rust are pretty scary.

Having sold my hardtop GN and replaced it with a t-top GN let me share my personal experience...

When I bought the hardtop GN, I planned to modify it to run mid to low 11's as well as show and cruise. I eventually realized I didn't have the time or finances to make all that happen. After I sold that car I knew I wanted another GN but I decided I just wanted a good clean car that I could cruise around in and enjoy. When I was in high school I had a hardtop '79 Monte Carlo and my friend had an '82 Cutlass with t-tops. We had both installed Chevy 350s' in our cars, but if the weather was nice, we usually went cruising in his because it was more fun to ride around in with the t-tops out.

IMHO, the 80's t-tops *will* leak, period. you can do things to reduce the leakage, but they will still leak some. The hardtop cars are definately more rigid, but there are a few t-top cars in our local club running *really*fast. You can also do things to increase the rigidity of a t-top car like the chasis braces and poly bushings.

I may get flamed for this opinion, but I belive hardtop cars make better race cars and t-top cars are more fun to cruise in (unless you end up in a rain storm :rolleyes: ). So, what do you want to do?

Rob

I HAVE A LOW MILE GN THAT HAS BEEN SITTING SINCE 1992 W/T-TOPS, THE DRIVER FLOOR PAN IS RUSTY & I BETTER CHECK MY ROOF OUT AS IF IT LOOKS LIKE THAT ILL SCREAM! :eek: IF IT LOOKS GOOD I WILL POST A PICTURE

OK heres the deal have you ever used lead I just did mine and would post pictures but haven't figured that out yet but can email you send me a msg I try to post some pics it not that hard a drill a spot weld cutter and a wire feed will get it out and in tourch and lead will finish the job

Update

Picture330.jpg

Still needs more work but getting there. We did a test fit and everything fits good.

Mine has alot of rust on the rear quarter panel it sucks I need to cut it out and weld in sheet metal.

it'll do the job.

I liked your original reply better.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Once it's ground, filled and painted it will look stock. Not that anyone sees that once the trim is on anyway.

Jim

Excellent job, that's what it takes, let's put them back together all buick enthusiasts. I had to do the same to mt 87 T. Rear upper fender area. Alittle cleaning up, skim coat and your good. You know what your doing, couldn't have done it better. "That's taking pride and making sure your ride it what you say it is".

any updates on the resto rob350? I am working on mine right now. :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 397
any updates on the resto rob350? I am working on mine right now. :mad:

I think I have a couple pictures of it finished off somewhere on my computer. I have the trim and weatherstripping installed, so I can't take any new pictures.

How thick of metal did you guys use?? the only thing i could find around here was 22 gauge. It is a little thinner than i would like but it did the job. I got the front finished. I will try to post pics later.