Forward Clutch Assembly

boostmaster

My transmission lost all forward gears on the starting line after doing my burnout on Saturday at Reynolds. I have reverse but nothing else. Upon disassembling the trans I can not remove the Forward clutch assembly from the case something appears to be holding it. Has anyone run into this problem and how can I get it out?

Thanks, Pete

Yes it is probably welded to the front ring gear and will take alot of patience to remove without destroying the rest of the trans.

Thanks for the response, but I have 2 questions.

1) What would cause this? Fresh rebuild all of the rest of the trans looks good. No burnt fluid or anything.

2) How do I remove it?

This car was not beat on at all.

I ran into this a few years ago and ended up having to use a slide hammer on the forward drum and break the backing plate to get it out. Like CK said you may have welded the clutches to the ring gear or dropped the clutches behind the step in the ring gear. If you were nearby I could get it out.

Thanks for all who replied, I got it out. For those that may run into this later I simply flipped the trans over and bammed it a few times on heavily padded concrete. 3 slaps and it came right out. Clutches burnt to hell. The rest of the trans looks perfect.

Thanks, Pete

Good deal.. now check your pump and sealing rings to find out where you are losing pressure to the forward clutches.

Better yet, take a picture and post it, see if the drum has a checkball capsule in the forward facing(between direct clutch and it), many drums that were originally built for use with the aluminum piston(factory issue) had the bleed hole in the piston, while drums built with steel piston had checkball capsule in drum. if trans was rebuilt with drum NOT having checkball and aftermarket piston or steel piston, forward had no bleed for fluid.
Which would have dragged the clutches when revving engine in park or neutral, you will feel or hear it drag down.
good luck,

Kevin.