Forget MAACO. CAR is DONE!

That is awesome. I remember working on your car...what a tranformation!:biggrin:

That is awesome. I remember working on your car...what a tranformation!:biggrin:

Thanks Steve. Spent the rest of last night putting odds and ends back together. So basically now, i have only 32k on the engine that you built. 12k on the tranny u built, and a few days old on the paint job..

practically a new car :)

How long did the whole process take from body work to final coat....very nice by the way I wish I had the courage to take on a task like this ....good job

How long did the whole process take from body work to final coat....very nice by the way I wish I had the courage to take on a task like this ....good job

Hey thanks gentek. The interior was a pain but once the carpet was out, i was able to break the rust out, cut it clean, tack, then weld in a steel plate. Although somewhat cheap looking it did work good and i then had to rent a mini sandblaster (which made a mess) and clear the surface rust... sealed it nice, then put the carpet and interior back together... that in itself was about 2 weeks... for the body - Basically it took about a month to get the body knocked down with a DA sander. Then sanded to get it straight as possible.. 3 layers of high build 2k primer and block sanded her down again and again checking for low spots with black primer in a can.

Taping up and removing all the trim was a pain in the rear but was worth it...once taped up, i sprayed 2 coats of the white base, cured for a day.. tacked it the next day and cleared it. My clear is a high solids clear but its going to give me more room to play with when i finally get around to wetsanding and buffing.. Not a show job, but certainly better than a MAACO peice.. plus i did it myself, can sell the gun i bought for 400 easy and basically the paint job was only 400 for me once all said and done.

:)

car is assembled...waiting for fender trim if you have any..that affordable that is.

Attachments

• IMG024.jpg
    IMG024.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG025.jpg
    IMG025.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG026.jpg
    IMG026.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG027.jpg
    IMG027.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG028.jpg
    IMG028.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 211
still not wetsanded yet, but will be when i have some time...

Attachments

• IMG029.jpg
    IMG029.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG030.jpg
    IMG030.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG031.jpg
    IMG031.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG032.jpg
    IMG032.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG033.jpg
    IMG033.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 211
Damn!! All that hard work and patience, plus your learning curve sure paid off.....wow....awesome job! I'm truly jealous!

Now, since I'm having serious problems with my back, maybe I can get my loving wife to do my Grand National.........:eek: yeah, right:rolleyes:

What a teriffic job you did. Nice work.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Well, I just asked my wife if she would strip and paint my GN......she said how many cans of Krylon will she have to get from Walmart to do this.....:rolleyes:

I'm taking her to dinner tomorrow night instead.....:tongue:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Looks Awesome man, Great Job! Love the mono-chromatic theme with the bumpers and all. Wish I had the patience, skill, and equipment to do mine. Now go taker' for a drive and shower' off! :smile:

Damn!! All that hard work and patience, plus your learning curve sure paid off.....wow....awesome job! I'm truly jealous!

Now, since I'm having serious problems with my back, maybe I can get my loving wife to do my Grand National.........:eek: yeah, right:rolleyes:

What a teriffic job you did. Nice work.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thanks Bruce! Yea man, im sure your wife would love to....you would have to get her some jewelry after though lol. Speaking of, my friends wife thought it would be a nice treat to wash his monte while he was out of town....turns out she used a sponge with soft brillo on one side... as soon as he came home, he shat his pants with the car completely scuffed.. Not sure about wives touching cars :)

Looks Awesome man, Great Job! Love the mono-chromatic theme with the bumpers and all. Wish I had the patience, skill, and equipment to do mine. Now go taker' for a drive and shower' off! :smile:

Thanks a ton Joe. I certainly brought the value back out of it bringing her back to white with blackout.. cant tell you how many times i felt like giving up but i knew i just couldnt... car has been with me through the toughest of times and trust me, i will be showing her off soon :)

Looks amazing now:eek:, and with a sand and buff it will look miles deep!!!:cool:

Hey 87.. tell ya what, my elbows are still sore from all the work but when i get around to it and get that orange peel out.. im gonna have a lot of glassy clearcoat reflexions.. thanks for your support! :)

with enough cutting its should look like a million bucks....there is alot of paint shops charging legs and left and right nuts:eek: to give you the the same results. good for you dude.

hah, i remember being a prep boy many years ago and doing all the wetsanding.. talk about a shoulder and arm workout :)