Forged pistons or cast?

when i first started messing with hypo's i had 4 sets that busted trying to use n2o and the last time was 5 pistons at one time.

well then i quit useing K.B. pistons they look great but they are fragile as glass.

i then tried sterling hypo's and out of all the motors i have built with then only one sterling hypo has broke and it was from a bolt falling in the intake and going into the cylinder at 7000 rpm on a 250 shot of n2o on a low 10 second pass ....s.b. chevy daily driver

BTW, i was refering to piston slap during the first 20-30 seconds of warm up idle time.. I do NOT drive around on a cold motor.

Evan

PS.. it amazes me how you guys go back and fourth on things like piston choices. You are really lucky to have so many options! Last time i built a motor the only thing i could get that was non-garbage were a set of custom pistons.

Keep the info coming, i know squat about hyper pisstons.

After my experiences, seeing a 3200lb nova go from 13.0 N/A to 11.1 with gobs of Nitrous, using TRW forged, and the fact I was able to get a set for $249, I would have to say, Why settle for less. I am not saying that they are the best, just that they are very affordable and I have never personally seen any problems with them.

When I was building my engine I considered custom pistons from Ross or JE to get the compression where it was stock, but couldnt justify the extra $300+ over the TRW's. And since I couldn't find any stockers for a TTA or any Hypers for less than $200, I simply ruled out cast and hypereutectic pistons. And yes price was a major factor in my decision.

Originally posted by 1badTTA
After my experiences, seeing a 3200lb nova go from 13.0 N/A to 11.1 with gobs of Nitrous, using TRW forged, and the fact I was able to get a set for $249, I would have to say, Why settle for less. I am not saying that they are the best, just that they are very affordable and I have never personally seen any problems with them.

When I was building my engine I considered custom pistons from Ross or JE to get the compression where it was stock, but couldnt justify the extra $300+ over the TRW's. And since I couldn't find any stockers for a TTA or any Hypers for less than $200, I simply ruled out cast and hypereutectic pistons. And yes price was a major factor in my decision.
When was the last time you tried to get TRW forged pistons? Last I checked you can't get them anymore. I guess since we are low volume they decided not to continue the line. Even when you could get them they have their issues and you are size limited. Just found out today that Ferrara is the only maker of our valves now so the list shortens for the Buick V6.

Originally posted by 1badTTA
After my experiences, seeing a 3200lb nova go from 13.0 N/A to 11.1 with gobs of Nitrous, using TRW forged, and the fact I was able to get a set for $249, I would have to say, Why settle for less.

i didnt say they cant go fast personally the best motor i've built with trw's was a 377 ci SB in a 73 camaro that went mid 9's on a 325 shot of juice..3400# car.

called Summit today and the TRWs are in stock.Dont anyone go and buy them,I need 6 and will be driving down there tommorrow[all 6 of my stockers were cracked:( I didnt do it,I bought a shorblock from a local]

Keith

I have been using hypers in both my SBC and turbo motor and they seem to work fine for me. But just a side note regarding supply of TRW, Federal mogul and sealed power pistons (forged or hypers or cast). If you don't know, Federal Mogul Corp has been in re-oganization (and on the verge of bankruptcy) for some time. And this more than anything may have contributed to supply and possibly limted selection. If you go to the Federal Mogul site, you can read about its restructuring program.

just to throw this in:

The Hypereutectic pistons are lighter than forged pistons. Doesn't make as much difference in the lower evving Buicks, but everyweight savings in the reciprocating assembly helps.

I know this has already been hashed through here, but there is a TR engine builder that is trying to tell me that the factory pistons are forged. I always thought they were cast.... what is the true story?

Joe 1320,

Stock TB regals only came with cast pistons. Who is the builder?
Ask the Buildier to post pictures of a forged stock piston:rolleyes:

I'm almost afraid to post who the builder is....... His stuff is on here all the time. It totally shocked the hell out of me. As some of you know, I'm in persuit of a shortblock that will live in the high tens. I e-mail this person to see what he could come up with and he e-mails back stating:

"I have a Sweet block and crank out of a 15000 mile car....and a rotating
assy to match...all stock, low mileage (factory pistons are forged!)

It all comes down to how mucho' you want to spend (can't be free) :)

Give me a REALISTIC price range and we can hopefully work something out (we
are also a full service machine shop)

He also states that "Yes, we have gone WELLLLLLL into the 10's on stock shortblocks....It's all
in the tuning!

They are HEAVY forgings, though!"

I about fell out of my chair. :eek:

The pistons that came out of my stock 3.8 were cast not forged. I'm I missing something:p

Does an 89 Turbo Trans Am have forged pistons?

Whats up with the Sg1 blocks do they have forged pistons?

Originally posted by Joe 1320
I'm almost afraid to post who the builder is....... His stuff is on here all the time. It totally shocked the hell out of me. As some of you know, I'm in persuit of a shortblock that will live in the high tens. I e-mail this person to see what he could come up with and he e-mails back stating:

"I have a Sweet block and crank out of a 15000 mile car....and a rotating
assy to match...all stock, low mileage (factory pistons are forged!)

It all comes down to how mucho' you want to spend (can't be free) :)

Give me a REALISTIC price range and we can hopefully work something out (we
are also a full service machine shop)

He also states that "Yes, we have gone WELLLLLLL into the 10's on stock shortblocks....It's all
in the tuning!

They are HEAVY forgings, though!"

I about fell out of my chair. :eek:

Oh, me...that is my laugh of the day. Heavy forgings, huh?

You reckon Jim Testa is sending engines to Rich and Art for machine work? :D

Just kidding, boys, we don't need the other half of New Jersey down here in Houston! :D