Ford vs Buick Results

1ARUNM

The Shootout was really great this year even though the Fords won. We had 93
races and the Fords won about 47-45 with one double disqualifying race. We actually had a faster field of cars, but the Ford guys won on driving skills. There were a lot of great races that went down to the wire, but it just wasn't our year.

Thanks to everyone who came and lets get 'em next year.

Steve Emberton

Oklahoma Buick Performance Club

1ARUNM said:
The Shootout was really great this year even though the Fords won. We had 93
races and the Fords won about 47-45 with one double disqualifying race. We actually had a faster field of cars, but the Ford guys won on driving skills. There were a lot of great races that went down to the wire, but it just wasn't our year.

Thanks to everyone who came and lets get 'em next year.

Steve Emberton

Oklahoma Buick Performance Club

Steve... I have talked to a couple of people today who said that with 3 races to go the track announcer stated that the Buick's would need to win all 3 races "to win" the event, which would mean 2 to tie it up...well, the 1st race the Buick's won(now need 2 to win, 1 to tie)....you said above that the 2nd race ended in a double dis-qualification,(no score for either side)....last race the Buick's won....so should be tied up right???

Jason Green was our man in the tower and he probably has the results. We ate dinner with him after the race and he didn't say anything about it being a tie.
There was some discussion about the last race since they made solo runs down the same lane due to the oil down, but I think the Fords were too far ahead for us to tie them at that point.
I guess it's possible someone could have made an error but I haven't heard anything about It.

1ARUNM said:
I would call red lights and bad reaction times less than stellar driving skills :rolleyes: :

lol yeah, watching the video of the races we lost at least 6-7 races due to horrible reaction times (1+ seconds) as well as quite a few red lights due to creeping through the beams while trying to build boost (this is a huge disadvantage) I got a win as i treed my opponent with a .110, not sure why but he must have mis shifted or blew the tires away as he didn't even try after 60 ft. I also wanted to clarify? How bad was the sandbagging as i ended up sitting in the staging lanes for a while and missed a few of the earlier races but i did see a nice 13.xxx at 125 by a fox body.... wow if thats not sand bagging i don't know what is. It was a good time and hope to be back next year with the car doing better than it did :frown:

1ARUNM said:
I would call red lights and bad reaction times less than stellar driving skills :rolleyes: :

I agree. Sitting on the line for several seconds after the green light, building up boost, doesn't win races.

As another guy reminded us on the other thread. I think taking off in reverse might be slightly less then stellar.

JDSfastGN said:
How bad was the sandbagging as i ended up sitting in the staging lanes for a while and missed a few of the earlier races but i did see a nice 13.xxx at 125 by a fox body.... wow if thats not sand bagging i don't know what is. It was a good time and hope to be back next year with the car doing better than it did :frown:

He qualified with a 13.0 pass. He didn't sandbag, he did the exact same thing that happened during his one and only qualifying run.

You guys are the inventors of sandbagging...you would think you could tell the difference :tongue:

I got DQ'd for push starting my car, because the Optima battery crapped out. That dude that was driving the white Turbo Regal that ran a 12.0 got waaaaay lucky. :wink: I qualified with a 12.3 (once again...onle ONE trial pass) in a car that should run mid 10's all day long...he was gonna get toasted.

I think part of the problem is that we concentrate so much on getting that et when were at the track that we don't really practice getting our reaction time down. :frown: Looking back on it, I was so into figuring out my car problems that practicing the tree wasn't a top priority. My .684 R/T sucked. I gave up 3 tenths to my opponent at the line and he almost beat me. :eek:

I got DQ'd for push starting my car, because the Optima battery crapped out. That dude that was driving the white Turbo Regal that ran a 12.0 got waaaaay lucky. I qualified with a 12.3 (once again...onle ONE trial pass) in a car that should run mid 10's all day long...he was gonna get toasted.

Man, that sucks vettklr. Better luck next year and congrats on your teams win. As for the white T, I guess sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

Next year if possible, show up friday night and get teched so you don't have to wait in line saturday. Also, if possible get to the track early. I managed to get 4 runs in on saturday and would have made a fifth but when they started announcing some hadn't got to make a pass yet I pulled my car out of line. I was the first car sitting in the staging lanes saturday morning.

vettklr said:
He qualified with a 13.0 pass. He didn't sandbag, he did the exact same thing that happened during his one and only qualifying run.

You guys are the inventors of sandbagging...you would think you could tell the difference :tongue:

I got DQ'd for push starting my car, because the Optima battery crapped out. That dude that was driving the white Turbo Regal that ran a 12.0 got waaaaay lucky. :wink: I qualified with a 12.3 (once again...onle ONE trial pass) in a car that should run mid 10's all day long...he was gonna get toasted.

heh, 125 is still 125, i know its ET that matters but when you can sit at the line for a few seconds after breaking the beam and just mash it and pass that car like its standing still.... i don't think thats what the guys had in mind that came up with this race. Last year i qualified with a 11.50 to a 11.92... low and behold i run a 11.46 to his freakin 10.92. I'm sure some buicks sandbag as well but im biased and don't pay as much attention to their qualifying times. BTW didn't they light up the qualifying time for each driver on the time board before their pass last year?

It may have looked like he was 'bagging, but he's fighting a transmission problem. As soon as he dumps the clutch, his shifter pops out of 1st. He has to force it back in and haul ass...He's a buddy of mine, and we all wished he would have had better luck with the car, but as we all know, sometimes, $hit happens.

turbot2496 said:
Next year if possible, show up friday night and get teched so you don't have to wait in line saturday. Also, if possible get to the track early. I managed to get 4 runs in on saturday and would have made a fifth but when they started announcing some hadn't got to make a pass yet I pulled my car out of line. I was the first car sitting in the staging lanes saturday morning.

Shoot yeah, I showed up a little late, around 11, I think. Got right through tech Friday night. I was fighting some problems as well. Rockers, Electric Fan, seatbelt, etc. :rolleyes:

We still had a lot of fun...reeeeeally enjoyed the 8 second Lightning doing wheelies and gettin all friendly with the wall! :eek:

That was a helluva shootout! Last year, I went out there with a brand new Mystichrome Cobra and did great. This year, I was in my old 85 GT that's been sitting in the corner, neglected because of the aforementioned toy. I'll get all the bugs worked out and see yall next year!

Oddly enough there are very few Fords at the test and tune Fri. night. I think I saw more F-bodies than Fords, and thats unusual even for a regular test and tune.

The Fords seem to show up later on race day too. Last I saw at the ticket booth the totals were 98 Buicks and 87 Fords. We wound up with over a 100 Fords and 9 of them had no one to race. Easy wins gone to waste :rolleyes:

You 13 and 14 sec. guys can come to this race and make a difference. There is no limit to the number of races. All races count the same.

Here are a couple of links to some pictures. My car is even in one of them, the last picture next to John Schmits golf cart :cool:

http://www.gwtra.org/gwtra_mb/messages/24/1506.html?1130721841

http://gwtra.org/media/noble05/

The guy I raced he had a red Mustang he qualified with a 12.14 and ran a 11.48.I qualified with a 12.04 and ran a 12.08.He was talking about sandbaggin in the staging lanes when we was lined up with his buddies.So I tried to cut a great light and had it red(-.021)It did not matter if I cut a good light or not because he was going to win!It is a fun race but I get sick of these guys that do that. :rolleyes:

I get sick of these guys that do that.

Well here's the perspective from a baggers point of view ;)

I made 4 q runs saturday after problems friday night.

1st run... 12.77@103 left early
2nd run... 13.07@103 made a tuning adjustment bad 60ft
3rd run... 13.29@102 made a tuning adjustment another bad 60ft
4th run... 13.46@102 another adjustment another bad 60ft

So now after all this you can see I was nowhere near my 12.77 so I set the car back to exactly where it was when I ran the 12.77 with just a very small change to the timing and fueling and also locked the convertor. I really didn't expect to duplicate the 12.77 in the final after 3 bad 60fts.

Final 12.37@108 and my opponent who qualified with a 13.1 ran a 12.7 nipping at my heals because of my sorry reaction time.

Anyway after my experience, I can see how someone could unintentionally sandbag. I did lock my convertor for the final but I figured I needed it just to duplicate my earlier good pass. :D

We could have had more time to race if the stupid down time to clean the track every 3 runs.......... :mad: Most idiots dont remember when the car is pouring crap out of it to get over to the side :rolleyes:

On the sandbagging issue when a car is qualified with a 13 something it shouldnt be able to get away with a 11.30 time later. I think ANYONE that is faster than a 3 tenth breakout, the rule should be that they are out.

Now I cant complain about my race as the guy qualified with a 10.47 and ran a 10.35 so that to me is an acceptable change. I saw several cars get better than 1 second from the qualifing runs so to me that should be discussed. :confused:

On the sandbagging issue when a car is qualified with a 13 something it shouldnt be able to get away with a 11.30 time later. I think ANYONE that is faster than a 3 tenth breakout, the rule should be that they are out.

Yeah but its a team event and from that standpoint wasting a fast car to beat a slow car will hurt you in the long run. Besides this is a heads up team event, not a bracket race.

If I could have got my car tuned better in qualifying, I would have been higher in the bracket and that might have helped others on my team and been the diff between a buick team win or loss. :mad: The baggin doesn't help the team and isn't that what its all about? ;) ;) ;)

The events a blast as it is.