Ford mechanics step inside....PLEASE...

turbocam

My wifes 04 expedition was idiling in park and stumbled then shut off.I checked the normal things like relays,even pulled fuse panel out.All relays looked good and clicked when key was turned on.Put a new pump in and still will not start.It will start with ether.What else will cut the fuel pump power?The reset button wasnt tripped.Is there anyway to bypass the relay on the back of fuse panel?There is a black box above the spare tire that has 2wires going in,both are hot with the key on.Thanks.......

I hear Ford has an issue with their ignition coils. My Mom's 2002 Escape went through 3 or 4 of them. Might want to check those out.

Nix

The black box above the spare tire is the EVAP canister, the wires go to the solenoid. Even if the solenoid was bad it will still run but will show a leak in the EVAP system.
Can you hear the pump prime? Is there any pressure at the rail?

Bryan

I hear Ford has an issue with their ignition coils. My Mom's 2002 Escape went through 3 or 4 of them. Might want to check those out.

Nix
The ignition coils are a POS but he can start it with Ether so it is not a spark problem.

Where did the new pump come from? Check and make sure the pins match on connector.I have had that problem before Is there any codes stored for fuel pump circuit? Even if the inertia buttom isnt tripped push the button anyways and see if starts. Rap on bottom of tank where pump is and see if that does anything.I have had new pumps stick before. did you check for power an ground at connector to pump?

When you get it running again make sure to add the optional heated tailgate unit to it Mike. That way your hands won't get cold while you're pushing it.:p:D

The black box above the spare tire is the EVAP canister, the wires go to the solenoid. Even if the solenoid was bad it will still run but will show a leak in the EVAP system.
Can you hear the pump prime? Is there any pressure at the rail?

Bryan
I cant hear the pump prime.The only place I found to check pressure is on the driver side ,right under the windsheild.It had no pressure at all.It will try to crank with the ether,but I have not sprayed it enough to fully start it.Is there any GOOD way to bypass the relays behind fuse panel to take them out of the guessing game?

When you get it running again make sure to add the optional heated tailgate unit to it Mike. That way your hands won't get cold while you're pushing it.:p:D

The fuel pump cost me 353.96.I told the wife one more waste of my play money and the whole thing will be heated.......;)

Where did the new pump come from? Check and make sure the pins match on connector.I have had that problem before Is there any codes stored for fuel pump circuit? Even if the inertia buttom isnt tripped push the button anyways and see if starts. Rap on bottom of tank where pump is and see if that does anything.I have had new pumps stick before. did you check for power an ground at connector to pump?

The new pump came from Advance auto parts.The pins were correct.I pushed the reset button several different times just to be sure.I dont have anything to check codes.I did jump the old pump with a battery and it works,just not getting power to it.There is so much crap on this thing I am at a loss..............Thanks

Is the SES/MIL light on? Do yourself a favor, go to Harbor Freight and buy a OBDII scanner. There is a coupon out there in the back of most car magazines, $42.00 is the cost. No it is not a top of the line tool but it will read the codes when you can't get the vehicle elsewhere. I just picked one up yesterday, works fine.

Bryan

You might want to check the expedition web board or lightningrodder (the lightning board) -- They are usually pretty helpful when I have Expy issues.

The fuel pump driver module on my sons '06 F150 died 3 monthes ago. The way his was mounted you had to remove the spare tire to gain access to it. It's a simple fix , all plug in ,and yes they corrode easily because of their location.

If it isn't getting pressure, and the pump isn't running, look for a wiring diagram and start tracing wires to a place that voltage is present. Then you can see the things In line that might be causing probs. Relays, bad grounds, corroded connectors all cause headaches.

Oh and I never let age hold me back when consuming an adult beverage. As my father always told me, "The secret to carrying on is not getting carried away." I've tried to keep that in mind.