? for guys using b&m shifters

figga8n

Anybody disconnect the colum linkage when installing aftermarket shifter? If so will disconnecting colum linkage effect anything?

Yes, you will lose your reverse lights and also your neutral safety switch. Usually new shifters come with micro-switches for this purpose. But I always thought it was easier to re-use the factory stuff. I know I've posted pics of how I welded the factory linkage to the B&M shift lever in the past. I'll see if I can find them. HTH, Scott

i just put in a b&m and i to kept factory linkage just simple fact so i didn't have to wire .plus if want to go back to stock less work,yes i'm lazy...lol

Let me see if my pictures will post up.

It's hard to see, but the flat (two hole) bracket is the B&M piece on mine. What I did was put the stock arm over top of it on the same bolt. You can see that the nut isn't fully on the stud, so I had a small "safety" weld tack put on the two brackets to hold them togetyer. You can see it at the rear of the arms right where the stock piece bends out away from the tranny.

The stock arm BTW is the double bent one with the square hole (where the original cable used to attach)

I kept the stock bracket so that I had all the features that the working stock shift linkage provides. 1. Backup lights 2. Park/Neutral-In gear(very important feature, for other things to work as designed).

Attachments

• 100_0361.jpg
    100_0361.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_0360.jpg
    100_0360.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 140
One other advantage to Keeping the column linkage :

If your shifter cable breaks, all you need to do is disconnect the cable at the trans. (easy to do) and then you can shift the car by just grabbing the collar on the column and twisting :biggrin:

Been there, Done that :cool:

if you street race, leave the column and just throw a nice pile of trash and a t-shirt over the B&M shifter...... they'll never know.....:rolleyes:

A.j.