Following the speed limit is dangerous: VIDEO

That is pretty cool. They'd have been dragged from their cars and beaten about the head and shoulders if they were in NJ.

Jim

The Blob said:
The point I got is this... one big way the internet sucks is that it encourages douchebags to pull stupid stunts so they can film them, post them, and get their 15 minutes.

How'd I do?

15 minutes x 1770 posts = 442.5 hours

Sounds like a winner!!

they are totally right. the speed limit laws are useless. they keep them low so that any time the state needs to make some money they have millions of options. i only appreciate this because i wasnt on that highway at the time. i would have been furious if i got stuck behind that crap.

and blob, you missed the point completely, but thanks for giving me some insight on your internal logic processes

Louster38 said:
they are totally right. the speed limit laws are useless. they keep them low so that any time the state needs to make some money they have millions of options. i only appreciate this because i wasnt on that highway at the time. i would have been furious if i got stuck behind that crap.

Cant be too furious really, its the speed limit after all.

Anytime you are doing atleast 55 in southern california you are thankful :)

I think it's funny that the guy in the white van was willing to give his LIFE to get around them. Lucky for him he escaped with a mere hit and run.

The next time a group of students try this I hope they get on film the crazy who is going to take a shot at them. Putting your self in a position for violence is not very smart.

I guess Im not to smart.

I really dont get the intention of the video if it wasnt what the one guy in the video said it was. He said the speed limit is too slow and can be dangerous because people are doing 70 at times. well thats just such a deep thought. My seven year old son might be able to figure that out if he watched closely enough for 20 minutes. Even the Autobahn in Germany has posted speed limits and they are comparable to our posted speed limits, and on that highway there are stretches where the speed limit is actually less than our 55mph limit. So I think the Blob was right on the money. Heres a ? What would these great filmakers have done if the dumbass in the van had lost control and crossed 3 lanes of traffic , jumped the median and wiped out an oncoming car? I know one thing, they wouldnt be laughing thats for sure. They kept saying how they were following the laws but in fact they were not. Thats right, a motorist can exceed the speed limit to overtake a vehicle but can only do so on the left (unless posted otherwise). So in fact the guy in the far left lane was driving illegally in the left lane. He could have been issued a ticket for that if observed by a trooper.

That is the first time I've ever heard of anyone saying you can legally speed if you are passing someone.

I'm gonna go ahead and do 100 in the left lane blowing past everyone, and if a cop pulls me over im gonna say "I was passing people, thats legal"

The point is exactly what the guy said in the beginning, if you are going to have a law that is not followed at all, what is the point of that law, and how can you constitutionally enforce it? Remember that in montana, speed limits had to be reinstated because "safe and prudent manner" was an unconstitutionally vague set of guidelines to pull people over.

Like he said, if you do 5 over the speed that traffic is doing you get a ticket for 25 over, which is definately going to look worse on your driving record than a 5 over.. unfortunately your record doesnt give circumstances like the fact that everyone was doing 20 over on that road. That is pointless.

Speaking of dangerous, you should see what CHP does all the time there Brer Rabbit, maybe your department can give them a class on safety, because they REGULARLY will pull out onto I5 and I have seen this with my own eyes, zoom back and fourth across four lanes to block traffic and hold it at a very low speed (the speed limit) once drivers get the point, the cop will usually straddle the center two lanes with his lights flashing and a huge mass of crammed cars following behind him and open road infront of him. Just like that video.

If the guy in the van ended up hurting someone I think it would have been an even better display of why the speed limit on that road is ridiculous. Following the law made an unsafe condition... maybe that law should be changed.

Brer Rabbit, I think you are only partially correct about the left lane. Most states reserve the left lane as a passing lane for faster moving vehicles, but it does not legally allow someone to drive faster than the posted limit to make a pass.

Most states allow drivers to travel at speeds slower than the posted limit (In VA, motorist can go up to 10 MPH slower than the posted limited before they can be stopped). If a vehicle was travelling slower than 55 MPH in the right lane, a motorist could use the left lane to pass at a maximum of 55 MPH.

I believe that video in a courtroom could get anyone off a speeding charge of 80mph. I think it proves the point well IMO. ALso, you may not exceed the speed limit at any time even if it is to pass/overtake another vehicle. They have tried to pass left lane laws down here, but they all failed.

Pablo said:
Speaking of dangerous, you should see what CHP does all the time there Brer Rabbit, maybe your department can give them a class on safety, because they REGULARLY will pull out onto I5 and I have seen this with my own eyes, zoom back and fourth across four lanes to block traffic and hold it at a very low speed (the speed limit) once drivers get the point, the cop will usually straddle the center two lanes with his lights flashing and a huge mass of crammed cars following behind him and open road infront of him. Just like that video.

Sorry to hijack, but this was too hilarious to pass up.

Pablo,

The maneuver you described the CHP officer doing is called a "traffic break". This is done when traffic needs to be stopped in order to remove a road hazard up ahead (disabled car, refridgerator, dead deer, etc....) The CHP officer at the hazard will ask another unit to run a 'break' before his location so they can run out and remove the hazard or whatever.

They're not doing that to remind everyone to drive 55. But your post did make me laugh, thanks.

Ok the laws vary from state to state,

I will be back to work Saturday and I will find the section dealing with passing, and speeding in the Illinois Traffic Code. If I find it, I will post it, but if Im wrong and I probably am (about exceeding the limit when passing) I wont post it because Im always right! :D Thats a joke!

Brer Rabbit said:
...the speed limit is too slow and can be dangerous because people are doing 70 at times. well thats just such a deep thought. My seven year old son might be able to figure that out if he watched closely enough for 20 minutes.

Exactly.

It is neither clever nor creative to demonstrate something that is intuitively obvious to the casual observer. I really have to wonder about anybody who thinks this is some kind of expose or proves some deep point.

I am shocked that traffic flows faster than the posted speed limit... shocked!! :rolleyes:

This was a dangerous stunt by a bunch of shallow thinking dumb-asses which proved nothing except that some people in college film making courses are able to grasp concepts obvious to Brer Rabbit's seven year old.

What if an 18 wheeler had run up into the back of that pack and killed someone?

I think they would have better proved thier point if only one of them drove in the right lane at 55MPH and filmed how fast traffic blows by them at that speed.

FiveOhSlow said:
Sorry to hijack, but this was too hilarious to pass up.

Pablo,

The maneuver you described the CHP officer doing is called a "traffic break". This is done when traffic needs to be stopped in order to remove a road hazard up ahead (disabled car, refridgerator, dead deer, etc....) The CHP officer at the hazard will ask another unit to run a 'break' before his location so they can run out and remove the hazard or whatever.

They're not doing that to remind everyone to drive 55. But your post did make me laugh, thanks.

Whats even funnier is that every time I have seen this happen I have not seen anything up ahead and traffic never did come to a complete stop.

Not saying there wasn't anything up ahead, but it has always seemed to me that the traffic was being slowed to the speed limit because thats what we were doing.

Can you personally guarantee that it is never used and never has been used for this purpose?

Because if you can't, that would be really funny

But thats besides the point, the reason for it is irrelevant, the point is it happens, and is essentially the same thing as what these kids did, probably more dangerous because of the cop zooming back and fourth between lanes

I did think it was funny that you missed the point though, thanks for the laugh

and to really make it clear, yes, to most people, its quite obvious the speed limit is ridiculously low on a given road, take that road for example; the speed limit is 55, why is it 55 then if "everyone" knows that speed limit is ridiculously low? It's because no one has really put the spotlight on the issue.

You can have a conversation with someone all day about something obvious to you and not convince them of a damn thing, however, pictures speak a 1000 words.

If I talk to a guy in atlanta and he tells me there is x road I've never heard of with an unreasonably low speed limit what will I do? Am I going to tell other people his story? No, because its not particularly interesting and it's a very subjective observation. Even if you tell someone "Everyone goes way over that speed!" the reaction of any average person is to understand this to be somewhat of an embellishment.

Before this video I had no idea atlanta even had a highway that ran around the perimiter of the city. Now I know. I also know it has a very low speed limit relative to the speed and volume that flows on that road. Yes, thats a pretty clear observation by anyone thats probably driven on any interstate. The difference is that this demonstration was a far more memorable and poignant to the casual observer who doesnt think about these things.

Bottom line, it got media play nationally and now the spot light is on whoever it was who decided that that road should have a ridiculously low speed limit. I'll bet anything that the entity responsible is probably getting alot of phone calls and attention over their decision making process