FMIC PTE or RJC best choice

CL87

Questions for owners running a PTE or RJC FMIC? Is one better then the other? Are they about the same. If so why do you feel that way. Your options would be appricated.

Wanna spend less and still get a bad ass intercooler? This ones for you....

100_1063.jpg

GN1 Performance intercooler link

Good up to the 10's!

hboost said:
Wanna spend less and still get a bad ass intercooler? This ones for you....

100_1063.jpg

GN1 Performance intercooler link

Good up to the 10's!

I have actually been running this intercooler for about a year and it works great. Easy install and no over heating problems still using the stock fan. I have been running 18-20 psi all summer on straight 93 octane with no knock. I would get a little knock at 22 psi in 4th. No way I could do this with a stock intercooler even with the 3" neck. The only problem is the pipes are 2 1/2", but I doubt that's a problem until you really start pushing the car in the 10s. Here it is installed on my GN.

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/9826/1987 GN 12-4.jpg

It is a complicated answer if you don't let us know what kind of HP you are targeting. What is your buildup?

Ted A. said:
It is a complicated answer if you don't let us know what kind of HP you are targeting. What is your buildup?

This is true, I've heard of guys having a hard time filling up that RJC megacooler with small turbos....

hboost said:
This is true, I've heard of guys having a hard time filling up that RJC megacooler with small turbos....

Not True. I have a TA-49 and have no problems filling up the RJC Intercooler. Of course the Vigilante 3200 stall works wonders. ;)

Dannyo

So for the poeple running the GN1/Ebay I/C you dont have to do anything to keep the car from over heating? Ive heard of people running FM I/C and having there car constantly running hot even with lower T-Stats and Dual Fans. .... Thats the only thing keeping me from goinf to a front mount. I ve also heard that the PTE Stock location I/C is good for low 10's also..... anyone run this I/C?

All front mounts raise your temperature some, I havent heard of anyone saying that their temperature remained the same after a front mount. And with 3200 stall I dont think a 49, 44, or a 60 would have problems filling it up.

I know a guy who put an Ebay FM on his GN and he cant keep his car cool (under 190) with duals fans and a stock recored radiator. He is going to an aluminum. So if you go to a FM, get dual fans and an aluminum radiator.

Jason

There could be alot of reasons for the overheating. Hell, a radiator cap not holding pressure can cause this problem. I have the GN1 front mount with record radiator and stock fan on high and I have never been over 190 degrees. We saw several days at 90-95+ degrees and the car never went over 190 even with the converter not locking. I did replace the hoses, water pump, recorded radiator, cap and have more of a 30/70 mixture since the car is garaged. If it's going over 190 with dual fans, there is something else going on.

Marc87GN said:
There could be alot of reasons for the overheating. Hell, a radiator cap not holding pressure can cause this problem. I have the GN1 front mount with record radiator and stock fan on high and I have never been over 190 degrees. We saw several days at 90-95+ degrees and the car never went over 190 even with the converter not locking. I did replace the hoses, water pump, recorded radiator, cap and have more of a 30/70 mixture since the car is garaged. If it's going over 190 with dual fans, there is something else going on.
Then why would it run 160 without the FM?

Jason

I have the same issue with it getting hotter than it use to with the stocker and dual fans. In talking with the local guys, the reason I'm running hotter is because I'm missing the material that boxes in the radiator.Two side pieces and bottom piece. Per one of the guys who had the same issues after replacing the missing items brought his temps down about 18 degrees. :eek:

Per my understanding, without it the air goes towards the bottom instead of going through the intercooler/radiator. I will be doing this soon just need to figure out what material to use to box it in.

Dannyo

Quiky One said:

Jason

It just seems odd that the temperature would increase over 30 degrees by just adding a front mount. Are you 100% sure that is absolutely the only thing that changed? You went from a SLIC to a FMIC with no other changes and now the temperature is in the 190s using dual fans?

Quiky One said:

Jason
Um, because when they recored the radiator they used one of those high fin count 4 core cores that can't tolerate any loss of airflow? Just a guess. That cheap $130 F-body radiator really works well with a front mount ...

Marc87GN said:
It just seems odd that the temperature would increase over 30 degrees by just adding a front mount. Are you 100% sure that is absolutely the only thing that changed? You went from a SLIC to a FMIC with no other changes and now the temperature is in the 190s using dual fans?

I believe he is refering to my dads 86 GN. It only runs 190-200 with the AC sitting in traffic or putting around town for a bit in stop and go 35 mph zones with lots of lights(this is 95-100* texas days ). Its fine and runs 175-180 on hot days on the highway with the AC on. It does seem to have a harder time getting rid of heat that is already there, like if i park the car for 10 mins and the temp raises to 210 or so and start it back up, it will take a while to drop past 190 again. Today a front has gone through and im driving the car in 85* weather and its 165-168 and never got above 175 in traffic.... I would recomend dual fans for sure but its not nearly as bad as quiky thinks ;)

JDSfastGN said:
I believe he is refering to my dads 86 GN. It only runs 190-200 with the AC sitting in traffic or putting around town for a bit in stop and go 35 mph zones with lots of lights(this is 95-100* texas days ). Its fine and runs 175-180 on hot days on the highway with the AC on. It does seem to have a harder time getting rid of heat that is already there, like if i park the car for 10 mins and the temp raises to 210 or so and start it back up, it will take a while to drop past 190 again. Today a front has gone through and im driving the car in 85* weather and its 165-168 and never got above 175 in traffic.... I would recomend dual fans for sure but its not nearly as bad as quiky thinks ;)

Not to jack the thread and I probably asked you in the past, but how do you like the CK 10.5 3200 stall? I have the exact same converter in a box that I'm waiting for a good day to install. I'm blowing through the converter I have in the car and I just don't like the feel of it. Your car is running well with a TE44 so I'm guessing it's working out. :) It goes through the gears quickly, but feels like it's slipping way too much and I'm not covering any ground.

Thanks for all the posts so far.

My bad, I should have posted what I have on my car to help with selecting a FM intercooler. I am looking to get into the low 11's/ high 10's

87 GN - GT6152 , RJC Power Plate, ScanMaster2, 42#'s, PAC Injection, MAF Trans +, LT1 MAF, TurboTweak chip,Casper volt boost, Knock Gauge, Fuel pump hot wire, Adj Fuel Reg, Oil cooler, Line Lock, Boost Controller, 3" DP, Hooker Dual Exhaust & 3200 Vigilante Stall, stock intercooler.

I too was in the same predictament and not sure whether to go with the RJC or PTE FM. After much research I did not find anything bad written on the PTE unit and of course the RJC was new so not much info found.

Being Jason has a couple of TR's and has developed other products for our cars. I'm sure he did much testing on this unit to ensure this was the best fit for a daily driver/race car was the reason I leaned to this unit.

The other factor was the size of the unit which was large enough that the end tanks did not block any of the air flow to the radiator.

I don't think you will find much real life comparisons between the two unless someone has done the testing and is willing to shqare their results. Most of us cannot afford to buy both units for testing purposes.

Good luck with your decision, either way I think you will be fine with either one.

Dannyo

I love my RJC FM, and my temps only went up about 8-10 degrees, if that. the highest my temp has hit was 190. THe RJC is a nice piece.