First Upgrade! Comments?

YellowMurci

For my 87 GN I want to do the following... Any ideas where should I buy this stuff? Can I get this stuff for like $3k or is it gonna be more?

TA49 Turbo
Factory Mount Intercooler (Presicion)
Walbro Fuel Pump w 55lb injectors
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Alky Razor Kit
3" Downpipe
Performance Chip

My mechanic says this should get me to the low to mid 11's? My tranny has already been done w a 2800 stall

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Of course I am getting a scan master as well -

With the 2800 stall you should be able to go larger with the turbo. At least a 44 but maybe even a 60

Are all the items new? If so your parts will be at or just over the $3,000 budget.

$550.00 .......for the Razor Alky kit
$700.00+..... intercooler
$800.00+.... .turbo
$380.00 ...injectors and chip
$120+....Fuel pump+hot wire
$300+....down pipe
$100+....adj regulator
$2,950 + shipping+ install = more than 3,000 but 11's all day long!= priceless!

I'd keep with a .63 housing with that turbo. Should be a good combo.

I'd wait on the intercooler and get a dutt neck instead. You can go mid 11's easily enough on the stock intercooler. Spend the money on a data logger such as Directscan or a Powerlogger. Get an EGT or wideband O2 to help the tuning. Hopefully you won't need any suspension stuff, but I'd look at boxing the stock lower control arms and replacing all of the rear control bushings first.

I'd also look at a 3" MAF pipe and cone filter if you don't have one. I consider a knock sensor gauge and boost gauge a must, with oil pressure and water temp close behind. Fix any cooling issues first. Maybe an RJC power plate too.

High 11's is probably a more realistic goal assuming you have stock heads and cam with mid 11's being possible. To get into the lower 11's you'll have to get rid of excess weight, run higher boost (24+), and get a good 60ft (probably low 1.6s or better), and run in cool weather. I might be able to get an 11.4x in my clone with a similar combo (except off a transbrake) in this weather with a low 1.5 or better 60ft. I think a good set of heads are need to go much faster, and then I would do the intercooler. I know of a couple people running low 11s/high 10s on a TE44/TA49 but they also have heads/cam/front mount ICs.

Tuning is key. Get an adjustable chip such as a TurboTweak chip.

you can split it up among different vendors. I would call Eric at Turbo Tweak and order the fuel related items such as the chip, fuel pump, hot wire kit, injectors (60lbs). Shop around for the turbo, DP, and intercooler. I ordered my razor kit from one of the vendors on this site such as TR Custom Parts AKA (BuickGN)

I'd leave the stock turbo on it and change that last. Its a great tuning aid figuring the car out with a smaller turbo. Once the car runs low 12's upper 11's.. then do the turbo. Unless your turbo is blowing out oil and is toast.

You cant just bolt on parts and shazam.. things happen. These cars are sensitive to combinations.

Scanmaster, TT chip, fuel pump, ADJ FPR, K&N on hard pipe, downpipe, spring cleaning.

Then.. valve springs, timing chain, alky kit. Valve springs and chain if they havent been done already.

You can buy larger injectors. Get 60's and be done with it. That way you wont have to go back. Leave the IC alone if you get the alky system. Do the Dutt neck when you start going faster.

Learn to read the scanmaster and make tuning changes..

HTH

Great Im excited to see what this thing can do! Now I have to start calling and see which vendor to buy from! :smile:

If you are on a budget, do yourself a favor and check the "for sale" section. You can find lots of good deals and save a ton of dough which you can use for other go-fast goodies...:p