First Time at Track for both me and my car

It will probably be better to put the sending unit and pump back in the tank completely, and ground the tank to the car, hook up the wires, and using a longer 3/8 hose on the outlet side of the sending unit run to a fuel jug, have someone turn the key and see if it will flow a steady strong stream. I thought the walbro fuel pump failures were long gone, I always get my walbros from racetronics and never a failure.

Thank you, I will test tomorrow. Maybe the pump is OK? If so I'm stumped. I guess I can also hook up by fuel gauge and see what pressure I get, as Long as I have it on tight with hose clamps I should be able to test to the fuel gauge, right? I'll try tomorrow AM.
Thank you,
Joel

i do still have original pump. i had knock with it so it must nit be very healthy. i will bench test the walboro tomorrow.
joel

It will probably be better to put the sending unit and pump back in the tank completely, and ground the tank to the car, hook up the wires, and using a longer 3/8 hose on the outlet side of the sending unit run to a fuel jug, have someone turn the key and see if it will flow a steady strong stream. I thought the walbro fuel pump failures were long gone, I always get my walbros from racetronics and never a failure.

This is good advice and the safest way to test the pump. Please do not try using jumper wires around gas.

Yes, best advice for sure. I installed a new fuel pump and all is well again. The Walboro 169 was junk, no fuel pressure at all. I will return for refund. I have very limited time to work on the car so I went local and got new pump. I will be forever running stock injectors so I expect this pump will provide plenty of fuel. I've set at with 40 psi line off.
Great to have her running again, boy was that frustrating.
Thanks guys,
Now back to tuning and timeslips.
I bet may recent knock was likely from pump crapping out.
Again thanks for the support guys.
Raining now hope for some good weather soon.
Joel

Sorry to hear about the pump, now i hope to see some more 1/4 mile testing done. Did you put teflon tape on the thread for the fuel rail gauge?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I purchased Airtex at AutoZone. I did use teflon tape. I've owned bulldozers, backhoes and have much experience with hydraulics and fuel and teflon tape. Everything leaks on a 1957 case, gas track loader :) There was just no way I was going to get that gauge to seal up correctly. Anyway, I've now got a test gauge with long hose and can tape to windshield, and it works like a charm. I am also anxious to get back to the track, maybe this week?
I am really happy to have her running again, if the pump can't keep up I'll return and upgrade, but I'm thinking this one should be enough for my needs. I've got the hotwire kit also.
Thanks Thumper and Joe.
Joel

I have never liked the airtex, high failure rate also in dd normal use. Get the walbro replaced with another not being a 169. I would not trust the airtex in my personal non performace car let alone my buick. Sorry but that is my opinion. I hope you the best of luck. the e3240 shows to be 40gph so should be good for 12s maybe 11 if the specs are right. Is this the pump you got?

I agree with installing what was local to you for getting the car back on the road but you probably will want to get a good pump later.

all opinions are welcome and valued
i will keep gauge on under boost and make sure i am getting needed pressure
local is just way easier particularly with return if there is issue
if either not enough pressure or failure i will try different performance pump next time
hoping there is not a next time
bl is right back to 128
joel

rain stopped and took for very short ride
no knock so far and she is running smooth again
joel

Sweet, good job dude. Hope to see that black car in the low 13's soon.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks turbojoe1, you and me both on the low 13's. I just took for quick run up the street. at 15 psi I had 4.5 degrees of knock, dropped boost down to 5, no knock. will bring back up to 11-13, which was the last boost I had with no knock. Then at least I'll be back to where I was if I can run 13 psi at 39 line off and no knock.
my BL was 117 or so at idle at 41psi fuel pressure, I dropped it to 39 and my bl went back to 126/128 at idle.
Joel

Brian at Gbody is sorting out my pump and thank you for that.
Once I get new pump I'll reinstall. I turned boost up to 12-13 with airtex pump and still have a bit of knock.
i will install the replacement walboro and should be back to where I was and will tune from there. Amazing how sensitive these cars are, I can't imagine how people got them to run correctly without at least a scanmaster and a bunch of help from friends.
Thanks all,
Joel

Sure will gunslinger, I am anxious to get back out there. After practicing at home I can see that I was not building nearly enough boost that the line. I'll be glad when she's running 100% knock free again.
Joel

Subscribed. Very interesting thread here. I've been keeping up with the progress on your car, and I applaud you on following your own path. These guys on here are a world of help, and there isn't a TR that won't run right if they have anything to do with it!! Keep it up. It seems that you plan to run the stock injectors permanently. I planned to do that as well, but I yanked them out. I paid $180 to have them removed and cleaned because they were clogged with the intent to keep them. Waste of money on my part. Keep us posted on your progress! Great job thus far.;)