First Time at Track for both me and my car

Joeld

Hi all,
Had my first night at the track on Friday. I had a great time!!! Gunslinger and Pronto were both there. My car is stock other than vacuum brakes, 340 fuel pump and hotwire. My best time as a 14.8. It was around 90 degrees out and humid. I thought the car would've been a bit quicker. I had absolutely zero knock. I attached a couple of timeslips. I had a ton of fun and can't wait to go back. The cars were awesome. Pronto's car is under repair, gunslinger had some strong passes. There was a Nissan GT-R, not much to say other than it is a ridiculous car.

Should I have gone quicker or is my time about right? Want to get totally dialled in before I do anything else.

I'm only looking to add some boost and nothing beyond what straight pump gas will get me.

Thanks,
Joel

Attachments

• time slips0001.jpg
    time slips0001.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 441
Judging from 60' times in both lanes, track was slick. What tires are you running? Stock air box? I'm sorry, but those times are slow. The high 13et in the other lane had a really hard time hooking up it appears, but then mph was 107, you should be closer to 92+mph. So that is why i said the track must have been slick. That and your 15sec et pass it really looks like you were just spinning your tires.

Joe

I think it looks pretty good for a hot day with humidity. Your 60' times def could use improvement, but mph looks good to me for conditions. Pump gas will only get you so far though and the itch to go fast runs deeper than pump gas can achieve; to me anyway. Good luck on your journey!

I should have kept better records, but I don't think I ever broke 100mph without race gas or alky.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had no tire spin at all, in fact only chirped the tires off the line once. I am running street tires. Interesting all have asked the same question about wheel spin. I had zero. to me that either means I'm not making much power or I'm not launching correctly. I mashed the brake and spooled up the best I could to leave with as much boost as possible but honestly I did not look to see how much boost that was, being my first time I had trouble keeping everything straight between staging and all. I really want to get her dialled in perfect before any more boost is applied and I'm not sure I'm there or not.
Thanks again
Joel

Thanks for the replies guys. I had no tire spin at all, in fact only chirped the tires off the line once. I am running street tires. Interesting all have asked the same question about wheel spin. I had zero. to me that either means I'm not making much power or I'm not launching correctly. I mashed the brake and spooled up the best I could to leave with as much boost as possible but honestly I did not look to see how much boost that was, being my first time I had trouble keeping everything straight between staging and all. I really want to get her dialled in perfect before any more boost is applied and I'm not sure I'm there or not.
Thanks again
Joel

There are some settings in the TT chip that may help you launch harder. Sounds like you are maybe a little rich down low, but I'm guessing without seeing any feedback from a wideband or scanmaster. You should be able to blow the tires off with street tires even on a well prepped track. Don't get discouraged though; keep doing what you are doing. Like Grumpy said, practice makes perfect! You'll be cutting sub 2.0 60's on street tires in no time.

we4- which reafings should i be looking for? i dont have logger. o2 i am thinking but when? off the line? mid track end of track?
this gets complicated but is half the fun

thanks
joel

You can adjust the fueling and timing with the TT chip. Your stock chip needs to get out and the TT chip in. That alone will help with the general feel of the power.

I would also recommend an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Your old stock one might mot be up to job anymore, especially with the other fuel system mods you mentioned in your first post. After said above you will likely be looking to buy some drag radials. Also, have you popped off the stock air box yet? And other free mods of that nature? Like adjusting your waste gate for more boost

Joe

Hi guys, Pronto, was great meeting you! After having been to the track myself your 60 foot is much quicker than I would've realized just reading numbers, not to mention your 11.3, yikees.
Only mods to date is new fuel pump as I could not run without knock with the old one and hotwire kit which I did at the same time. Stock air filter, box, regulator, etc.
I am committed to getting her dialed in as tight as possible each step along the way. It is looking like the times I ran were about as good as can be expected for stock.
I will make a few more passes with my configuration and record the scanmaster numbers so I have record of.
I've got an adjustable regulator, boost controller and TT chip at home. I've got an adjustable wastegate on the way.
I will make my passes (with luck Pronto and Gunslinger will be there to coach some more) and get my numbers.
Then will go from there.
I see the 13.9 stock numbers and I'm way off of that, which made me start to think someting may not be right with either me or the car.
Joel

Put the regulator on and get the chip in. I'ld go for a intake pipe and filter, turbo inlet block off and v/c filter. At that point you will have good fueling, better air flow in and some tuneablity with the chip. That should knock off 4 or 5 tenths with a good launch.

Age and condition of the car along with track conditions and weather will defiantly turn that 13.9 into a 14.9

With that TT chip, more boost, ditching the stock inlet and box set up and better fuel control, ditching the cat, those are usually the very 1st things to change. half a tank of 93/110 oct, On a good day with the right tune and launch, 12.90's are possible with the boost up, But you'll be fighting for traction to get there

Joe

Thanks guys, I am looking forward to the next track outing.
I can only imagine the difference 12.9 would feel like versus 14.9.
All of your help and patience is appreciated.
I'd love to consistently run in the 13's.
Sincerely,
Joel

...I'd love to consistently run in the 13's.
Sincerely,
Joel

And then you get used to it! I was once like you:). Keep on your current path. The journey is more fun than the fast passes, so baby step victories feel better because there is more of them. Not a lot to do by reading the SM for launch tuning; you pretty much just trial and error it. Less fuel, more timing, no knock, repeat... Best of luck on your journey. I started with a 20k mile car, so I think you're on the right path. I wouldn't start another from anything but stock if I go again. I'll skip a few mis steps next time though.

Not bad for the first time out, it does take seat time as Grumpy said.

I was wondering what the 02 sensor readings are, stock turbo, low boost with a walboro 340 and hotwire kit may be a tad bit much on fuelling. Put the turbo tweak chip in first and a powerlogger or scanmaster and learn how to tune. Then lean out first gear a little with a close watch on timing as you bump it up with the chip for better launch capability.

Try for the same light launch everytime to keep up with what helps, otherwise different launches each outing will confuse most with what works or not as far as tune, the more consistant launch will have better data to learn from, at the same time you will become more comfortable with the car.

I do not feel you will benefit from a adjustable regulator or boost controller yet, the fuel can easily be adjusted in the tt chip, then just tune and read and learn you way into the 12s

Best money spent is on good data logging system, lots of performance for the money to.
IMHO I would do away with the scanmaster and get a powerlogger so you can see much more info at one time for a more precise tune with the tt chip.

Thanks
Bill

I do not feel you will benefit from a adjustable regulator or boost controller yet, the fuel can easily be adjusted in the tt chip, then just tune and read and learn you way into the 12s

The TT or Bailey chips REQUIRE and adjustable fuel regulator IIRC. And if you want to go fast, a boost controller or adj wastegate rod will be required.

Well you got me on the boost controller vs adjustable wastegate rod, Imho I would do an adjustable wastegate assembly or mod the orig one for a couple dollars.

The TT chip does not require an adjustable fp reg, it just recommends setting base pressure at 43psi as a baseline, which a 237 regulator will get you. I have run the 233 stock regulator with a tt chip into the mid 11s, so trust me that it is not REQUIRED, as fuel can be added by injector pulse instead of pressure.

Thanks
Bill

Hoping to have a bit of daylight tomorrow after work to get my baseline fuel pressure reading with line off. I've not really done since I replaced the fuel pump.
I really appreciate all the responses, information and advice, incredibly helpful and really contributes to the enjoyment of the process. Every guy on here seems to be all about sharing what they believe is best with all good intentions wanting the recipient to benefit, really cool.
I did hit recall after a few of the passes but I was totally focused on knock, of which there was 0.0. Next time I will get 02 as well. My BL at cruise is right around the 128 same for idle if I let her sit a bit I get right around 128.
If I remember correctly my o2 when hitting recall was maybe 750 or so? But I can't recall precisely as I was so focused on knock (you guys have me terrified of knock). Even my 10 year old daughter asked me when I got home if I had any knock (seriously), she was all excited when I said no. I do remember looking to expect 800 something but was 750 plus or so I think.
Joel

Put the chip in, then start looking at your numbers. the tt chip was set up hopefully for your low boost goals correct???