First Time at Track for both me and my car

Bring a little note book or write on the time slip your scanmaster readings b/f you shut off the ignition. That way you won't be guessing.

yes,
I am looking forward to seeing how my numbers at the track change.
Joel

Joe, please keep posting how it's going ! I just happen to be following your lead with my WE4! oh by the way, are you running a 160 therm ?

I like the idea of writing on the timeslip, this way i'll have all in one place. I checked fuel pressure last night and I'm at 39 with line off, stock regulator. John, I'll keep posting as I move along. I want to run at the track a couple of more times with my current set up to get all my numbers. I'll bring my adjustable wastegate with me and see how much boost I can add with my stock regulator and chip without knock. I'm aiming for around 15-17, my current stock set up was at 11 or so the one time I thought to look. Will pay more attention to boost next time. I can see the value of the logger, just can't justify yet.
Looks like tomorrow will be a wash out, maybe next Friday.
Thanks,
Joel

Powerloggers are nice, but with a safe tune, you can go pretty fast with just a scanmaster. Plenty of guys did it even before SM. I still remember just bumping fuel pressure up if it was going lean after reading plugs. Not on my car, but that's how a buddy did it back in the day.

Are you still running the cat? I would put the TT chip, afpr, dump the cat if you haven't already and an intake pipe with a free flowing filter. Got new plugs and wires in there too? Those mods will start to wake up that sleepy engine.

Good point We4Mateo (like your avitar), like a white darth vader picture. With the help of ttype6 and all you other guys I'm working really hard on trying to understand this car as thoroughly as possible and tune it as good as I can get it each step of the way to avoid confusion, mistakes and as the veterans would say "knock knock, who's there........". The car is a blast and I'm enjoying the experience. I get comments every time I take it out. I had my 80 year old dad out this weekend and he was giggling like my daughter when he mashed the go pedal. Two guys walk up to us in a parking lot and say "that's a bad ass car", my dad just did the "you ain't kidding" head knod and strolled into the grocery store. He's looking forward to coming with me to the track next time. Hoping he'll take the car for a run or two.
I still can't get over the community on this board, class all the way. Even the arguments are civil and intelligent.
Joel

Hey pronto. I have the original wires, I did replace the plugs and did the spring cleaning. I still have cat and stock intake, regulator and all. Replaced fuel pump as I could not eliminate knock otherwise. Pronto, you are a "get her going super quick ASAP" kind of guy. I'm a "scared I'm gonna brake it" guy. I really want to see how each bit and piece impacts the performance of the car. Part of me still wants to stay stock to try to get to 13.9 stock, it is a long way from where I am now at 14.8 although it was super hot. Wish I could get to the track tomorrow but it is going to rain crazy this weekend. Couple more runs and then I'll start turning up the boost. Wish there was a simple intake solution so I could retain my stock MAF at least for now but breath better. After my stock runs I'll install the adjustable wastegate to see if I can get 17 or so without knock, then chip and cat and intake, wonder if that would get me reliably into the 12's?

When are you going to be ready to run?
Joel

If your scared you're going to break it then stop racing it immediately. It took me 5 years to get to 11s so I am patient. I did many small mods and some did help others no improvement. That's why I'm trying to steer you to what will make the difference. The stock chip sucks, plain and simple. Getting the TT chip will do a lot for your driveability. An intake pipe eliminates the flex hose and then you have the MAF and then a cone filter right after the MAF. Probably one of the first performance mods anyone does. The other mods will help you go faster, remember air in, air out is what is needed. The cat is a big plug too.

Hi Pronto, to be perfectly clear, I understand and appreciate that every bit of advice you provide is aimed at providing me with the highest quality advice to improve my skills and my car's performance with both my and my car's best interest at heart!!
I am paying very close attention.
It will just take me some time.
Which airfilter set up do you recommend where I can keep my stock MAF?
Thanks Pronto,
Joel
bummer it is raining today.

Joel, you can get the air intake pipe and a conical filter in many different forms from one of the many member vendors we have here. Or you can save some money and try to copy and make your own, and buy a cheap filter locally. If your planning on ditching the stock turbo anytime soon, i wouldn't go out and buy a high dollar cold air kit right away, the inlet/inlet bells are different. And you would have to get another cai kit, or in some cases be able to buy different adapters/reducers when you do change turbos or Mafs depending on what you get.
I personally really like the "Big mouth kit" from TRcustomparts.com, in the vendors section. You could adapt that one if and when need be.

You can also mod your stock Maf to flow a little more air with out the need to buy a translator.
While we're at it, pop off you up pipe and look through your Throttle body with a flash light into the dog house. The stock TB is only 57mm which is ok, but you'll see that the opening to the dog house is even smaller. You could easily pop that dog house off and hand port that out to slightly bigger than you TB.
Do a full tune up, change the fuel filter and get some better spark plug wires, after you ditch the cat, put a couple gallons of 110 oct in there. Of course the TT chip will be the biggest improvement for you, but don't forget about the free mods.

Joe

Thanks Joe,
I've done the fuel filter. Dog house is a good free suggestion and will add it to the list.
I've not even removed the screen on the intercooler intake yet.
I will do the plug wires, no reason why not to, I'll bag and tag the originals. This year was even the first airfilter change for the car (same for the fuel filter for that matter).
She is running really nice. I have a bit of a tick on start up on the passenger side valve train. Quiets down, I'm wondering if it is valve spring (although not sure why that would quiet down? From what I've read they are not the best from the factory. I have a very slow weap from the rear main, original owner had it replaced under warranty and seems like it has always leaked a bit.
I am running the stock thermostat, temperature hovers right around 185-190. Dropping to 160 will also be on the list.
I'm determined to confirm the best stock times I can get and then start with one improvement at a time. I've got my TT chip sitting on the shelf ready to go in.
Thanks,
Joel

cool Joel! just to join in, i'm running all stock except the 37# Delphi inj, Hooker 2.5" cat back system , hollowed cat, throttle body bypass ( coolant ) & K&N 8" cone filter. The car was like this when i bought it. I don't know what chip it has, it's not labeled and all the prev owner could tell me is that it runs better with this chip than the thumb wheel chip it once had. The only Mods i've done so far is i moved the K&N filter right behind the bumper so it does not breath any engine heat & added an electric Fuel press gauge to see whats going on while driving & boosting. What i am fighting right now is a serious oil leak that i need to get fixed & figure out why my tranny is shifting at 3200 RPM under full throttle. I have to drop the pan & see what governor it has. Who knows if this is the original tranny. I have all a bunch of parts sitting in my garage also - 160 therm , 5.7 TT chip , Walbro pump, hotwire .. i'm on Long Island and closest track is 2 hrs away. :( i have to resort to my old G-tech timer !

I would switch to the common #980 spring and do an oil change/don't forget the zddp plus. Let it break in before you drive it after. And throw a magnet on back.

Joe

Rip that screen out!
I like cone filters that have the end of the filter open as a filter too. I made my CAI copying bits and pieces of what I saw out there. I use S&B filters. You can just get a filter and pop it on the end of the MAF and leave the rest of the stock hose there. Not worth porting the doghouse at this point. I would consider a Power Plate under there though. Most chips have the fans come on at about 68 or so * so that will lower the temps some. I haven't met a Buick that doesn't leak oil.:eek: Have you replaced the PVC valve with a AC piece? Another item that can cause oil leaks by pressuring the block. I would consider a US Plastics check valve in the line as well to keep boost from backing up. Cheap enough to add. Careful though, I'm going to be like Grumpy and just tell enough to get yourself in trouble.:p

ok I am goin to be nice here. Don't bother with a cold air kit. Put the air cleaner at the end of the pipe in that hot engine bay an call it a day.
Dan phone 678 (1).jpg