First test of new 295 55 15 M/T's

tlturbo

Tag - WUTSA V8
If anyone remembers my year long (or longer) effort trying to figure out why my car immediately went sideways when the boost came on and then finally figuring out (after replacing lots of other things) that my 8 year old Nitto 275 60 15 drag radials were the culprit (HARD but still had tread), I replaced them with a set of the new 295 55 15 M/T Street drag radials. I finally got a chance to test them out yesterday. I punched it at about a 20 mph roll and it just hooked and went straight as an arrow, where before when the boost came in, it would head for the curb or the other lane. So then I tried nailing it at about 5 mph, same thing. NO spin and flat ass hauled. BUT the tires hooking keeps the engine from winding up like it did when the tires were spinning, so it SOUNDED like it wasn't accelerating as fast. But I suppose that is the difference between spinning and reving and not accelerating versus hooking and going.

More testing required (ha ha). I'm interested to see if I can launch on the street with a couple lbs of boost without going up in smoke.

So far, I'm impressed with the new tires.

What size wheels did you mount the 295's on? I was thinking about those same tires, but i have 15x8 wheels, and thought those tires may be too wide for the 8" wheel.

I have 15x10 Weld (now Cragar) Drag Stars with 4.5 BS. I don't have air bags anymore and the wheel well lips are notched and bent upward. Not sure about the 8" wheel. I think it is at the low end of recommended sizes from M/T but it might make the side walls bulge more.

I'm running the Hoosier 275 drag radial (10" wide) on a stock 7" T wheel. Looks quite nice with that.

Want to try a set of these new 295 55's on my 9.5" Vectors.....

went 1.52 60ft on the 295/55/15 driving to and from the track,they are are great tire and fit real nice.