First Start-up..It Won't...help me quick!!

Glenn_A

Well, after a few months of waiting for the finished re-build, the day came today to fire it the first time. However, it turns over, but it won't start...the engine turns over and all, but it just won't start. My cam sensor tool says I'm right on...it's even set just like the guide picture by luck...got fuel pressure. spark, everything....it just won't fire. I even took all the prescribed cautionary steps like the oiling procedures. The fuel pressure was initially none until I loosened up the fuel gage at the rail to bleed off the air in the system...I'm loosing my mind.....my initial guess was that the timing was way off, but after taking some components off to re-set the cam sensor, it indicates I'm right on.....soooooo, now what...help me fellas....pleeeeezzz

try the crank sensor and make sure the inj are firing try a noid light to check the signal to them, check the cam sensor and make sure you not 180 off

I forgot to plug in my temperature sensor once and it would'nt start.

Hard to see in the front of intake manifold. :confused:

won't fire

thanks tom, but hate to show my mechanical ignorance here....but what do you mean check my crank sensor?....I put in a brand new one and it seems to be in line so to speak. I'm well versed about the cam sensor being out 180 degrees because my original Gn was "out 180 degrees" a few years back(that's what I was told back then), but what does it mean to fix or adjust for that if my cam tool is telling me everything is right on....and lastly, you said check to see that the injectors are firing with a noid light.........ummmmm, huh?....thanks for reading my post and helping...just anxious to get my machine going....Glenn

Glenn Bill Anderson is right down the road, I took mine there last week and he had it running in no time.
Good Luck

what is your fuel pressure, try setting your cam sensor with a meter, if you got spark and fuel it probably is fuel timing (cam sensor) try the procedure off the gnttype website, you said that you have fuel, but are inj firing (noid lite/inj testlight)

What is your set up? Need to know what all you changed, ie flat tappet or roller cam and valvetrain, iron or aluminum heads etc.

won't fire

Yea, talked to Bill Sr yesterday and he advised to just bring it down...it's getting it there thats the prob.

DonnieShort...my mods are 204/214 cam, ported heads, 100lb'ers, stainless valves, rod guides, billet caps...2 centers,RJC plate, ported dog house and throttle body (65mm). Fresh crank @ 20/20(was done once @ 10/10 before by previous owner), Walbro 340, Hot wire kit, RJC Ground kit, adjustable fuel reg and wastegate, gage on fuel rail, oil and boost gage on A-pillar.....I zero'd the cam sensor twice, replaced the coil pak and module thinking I was getting no spark since all the motor was doing was turning over and not trying to spark, checked and re-set the crank sensor. I'm leaning towards the ECM, right? :( :confused:

I'm about to fire up a new engine as well so I'm a bit concerned that I didn't miss anything. Did you check the ground wires that go to the back of the passenger side head and the 1 that bolts to the top trans housing?

This may be obvious but is the ECM power wire under the hood plugged in? Also if you turn the key to the on position, does the SES light come on?

start up

yes the SES light does come on when I turn the key....and the obvious? ECM plug?...that the fat white square one under the coil Pack?...it's plugged in

Which slot on the crank sensor did you set it up with? There are two, only one works. I think it is the slot that is furthest from the plug. Do you have a scan tool that will give you rpm while cranking, to see if you are geting a read out?

start up

Yea thats why I checked the crank sensor twice...actually the sensor and spacing won't allow you to put it in the first/closest slot, at least in my case anyway, anyhow it is in the correct slot like you said....I also have a scanmaster, thats the only graphic tool I have.....all this wait and money spent...kaputski!

Try running a compression check. If you're running a roller cam and lifters possibly the push rods may be too long hanging the valves open.

Glenn, the ecm wire is the orange wire going from the positive cable at the battery. Make sure it's plugged in.

start up

:frown: Yep, ECM plugged in...gonna buy a spark tester 2morrow to see if I'm actually getting spark....I don't think I am...I took the throttle body pipe off and shot a little blast of ether into the throttlebody and turned on the ignition. I got a little belch of backfire, this is more than I've gotten at all so this indicates to me that I'm not getting fuel even though the fuel rail has pressurized fuel coming out, but nothing showing on the liquid filled gage :frown:

start up

I'm also gonna double check the compression like Donnie Short says, but I can't imagine having an issue with this part of it on a fresh new rebuild....I also forgot to mention I'm running 36's and a 204/214 cam...flat tappet, I believe