First Start-up..It Won't...help me quick!!

Glenn_A said:
I'm also gonna double check the compression like Donnie Short says, but I can't imagine having an issue with this part of it on a fresh new rebuild....I also forgot to mention I'm running 36's and a 204/214 cam...flat tappet, I believe

The reason I asked for a compression check is I had the same problem with my new motor a couple of months ago on first start. Long story short, with the roller cam and 1.65 roller rockers ( and 885 lifters ) my push rods were a tad too long hanging the valves open when the lifters pumped up causing it not to have enough compression to fire. Took a few days checking everything to find it out. Compression check cold it would be @ 85-90psi but after it cranked some and oil pressure built up compression was only 20-30psi. Pulled the valve covers, remeasured the push rods, got the right size, put them in and it fired up on the first hit of the key :D Moral is to triple check everything cause it's probably something simple.

!!!!!

If the cam is new it needs to start right away without a lot of "spinning it over" or it could wipe a lobe!