First ever alum GN rims. pics.

I've talked to Shiela a couple of times, and they are ready to take my order for 17" mods, and sent me a mockup of what they will look like, however I cant figure out what BS, width, and tire-size to run on it.

Here's what i'm thinking about:

Front - 17x8" wheel with 4" backspace, running 245/45/17 tires.
Back - 17x9.5" wheel with 4.75 backspace running 275/40/17 meats.

I'm going to cut 3/4 of a coil off and use the Savitske upper control arms to bring the front down 2" or so w/better geometry. I'll upgrade bushings front an rear and add a rear pan-hard bar also.
Mine are a 295/40/17 et street II m/t drag radial on a 17x9.5 with a 5 inch backspace and they fit fine i got about an inch of frame rail clearance on each side..Mine are a lil close to the wheel well trim but i also got an 1/8 inch spacer on each side..I may take them out i did it for peace of mind....

I'm going to cut 3/4 of a coil off and use the Savitske upper control arms to bring the front down 2" or so w/better geometry. I'll upgrade bushings front an rear and add a rear pan-hard bar also.

I'm not claming to be a suspension expert, but I generally see spring cutting as a bad approach.
It jacks up your spring rate making the ride harsh, and the risk of cutting too much off looms over your cuting wheel.

If you must lower your front end, a much better approach (and you don't even have to remove your springs) is to install a set of 2" drop spindles. Better still...there are drop spindles available that also raise the upper ball joint a tad to improve geometry and improve handling.

I'm not claming to be a suspension expert, but I generally see spring cutting as a bad approach.
It jacks up your spring rate making the ride harsh, and the risk of cutting too much off looms over your cuting wheel.

If you must lower your front end, a much better approach (and you don't even have to remove your springs) is to install a set of 2" drop spindles. Better still...there are drop spindles available that also raise the upper ball joint a tad to improve geometry and improve handling.

I don't think 75% of just ONE coil is going to make that much difference in spring rate, and even if it did the risk-vs-reward wins out becuase the center of gravity is lowered.

And if that weren't bad enough, recommending dropped spindles (given how poor the G-body geometry is) over a good upper control arm like the Savitske Classic & Custom is absurd.

I don't think 75% of just ONE coil is going to make that much difference in spring rate, and even if it did the risk-vs-reward wins out becuase the center of gravity is lowered.

Think again. I did the exact same thing to another vehicle I had with front indepent coil spring suspension. It rode like cr@p once I cut those springs. it was a light weight car too. I can' only imagine how bad a G-Body would ride with cut springs.

Personally, I wouldn't alter the ride height one bit.
I like the stock ride height.
I would just prefer better springs for a slightly better ride and handling.

Can I see some pics of your stance?
What inch drop do you have f/r also?

Thanks and sorry for the trouble!

Pics are in my album.
Click on my name at top of post, click 'view public profile', then click on my album.:biggrin:
Car is lowered about 1.5-1.75" front and about 1" rear.

And if that weren't bad enough, recommending dropped spindles (given how poor the G-body geometry is) over a good upper control arm like the Savitske Classic & Custom is absurd.

Actually...what I said was...
"If you must lower your front end..."

What I'm recommending is that if you really want to lower that front end, then don't do it by altering the spring rate of the existing spring (yes 3/4 turn off a coil will make a difference) and instead going for a less invasive, and easier to reverse (although pricier), change to dropped spindles. You have to remove your spindles anyway to get the springs out...

Personally I'm not a fan of lowering the front. It really screws up the driveability and you'll be cussing yourself and inanimate objects out every time you drag the front air dam and SLIC scoop (if you still have one) across another curb while parking...
...or crush your FMIC pipes on a curb while parking....
...or run your nice, low hanging down pipe across the top of a speed bump...
...or....hit a dip in the road at speed and after hearing said downpipe hit the asphault with fury...watch all the pretty sparks in your rear view mirror form the crushed metal you just left on the road behind you.
...or watch the tattoed tow truck driver as he screws up misc parts on your ride while trying to drag you lowered sled onto his bed saying,
"Sorry bro...we aren't liable for that..."

Check my 68 Camaro sig...I'm all for control arm changes...been there and one that.:D
Throw in some coil overs and ...WOW!!!!

Also don't look past the benefits of raised ball joint spindles rather than lowering...they do wonders on F-bodies...I'm not sure about G-bodies.

Think again. I did the exact same thing to another vehicle I had with front indepent coil spring suspension. It rode like cr@p once I cut those springs. it was a light weight car too. I can' only imagine how bad a G-Body would ride with cut springs.

Personally, I wouldn't alter the ride height one bit.
I like the stock ride height.
I would just prefer better springs for a slightly better ride and handling.

X2:D

15 x 7 Polished (no black ceramic) 4" backset!

Very happy with the price - they are great to deal with and very friendly and professional.

Jerry in Fruita, CO.

Congratulations, Jerry. How about some pics when you get them mounted.

I have a feeling it's going to be me, I need to ask Sheila Budnik of Lee if it's OK to post the 17" mock up autocad drawing they sent me?
None of my business, but I think that I would do just that as a minimum before posting their design, considering that it hasn't been made yet.
Just a thought.

very well done, i also wish the wheel manufacturers would listen, there is a huge market for stock looking wheels made in aluminum and wider/narrower/larger sizes. i.m.o. they need a quarter inch black ring where the hub meets the rim itself to re-create the shadow from the 2 piece look of the stock steelies. if i weren't so in love with my gta's i would have to have a set!:D

very well done, i also wish the wheel manufacturers would listen, there is a huge market for stock looking wheels made in aluminum and wider/narrower/larger sizes. i.m.o. they need a quarter inch black ring where the hub meets the rim itself to re-create the shadow from the 2 piece look of the stock steelies. if i weren't so in love with my gta's i would have to have a set!:D

I would actually love to find someone that makes lightweight aluminum "steelies" that would accept the poverty caps that came on a lot of the late '60s to early '70s cars.

Your car is the perfect example

of what a GN should look like.
It represents the GN community perfectly!
Way to go Mike! :D