First ever alum GN rims. pics.

of what a GN should look like.
It represents the GN community perfectly!
Way to go Mike! :D

Thanks Lee. All it needs now is purple window tint and some yeehaa pipes and it'll be good to go.;)

Mike B.

Thanks Lee. All it needs now is purple window tint and some yeehaa pipes and it'll be good to go.;)

Mike B.

Jealous?
I'll trade you mine for your rims.:biggrin:

Attachments

• P5156207.JPG
    P5156207.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,427
Congratulations, Mike. Great representation for both the turbo Buick community and the SouthWestern Section.

I contacted budnik about a 17x8 and 17x9 for the rear. But I was told they were only available in 17x9.5 for the rear. Will this fit with 4.75" backspacing? I remember my 17x9's were "close" to rubbing. Is there anyone out there running 17x9.5's in the rear with no modifications to the frame etc? And if so, what size tires are you running?

I contacted budnik about a 17x8 and 17x9 for the rear. But I was told they were only available in 17x9.5 for the rear. Will this fit with 4.75" backspacing? I remember my 17x9's were "close" to rubbing. Is there anyone out there running 17x9.5's in the rear with no modifications to the frame etc? And if so, what size tires are you running?

I run a 17 x 10 with 4.75" b.s. I did need to roll the fender lips with my car lowered. 275/40R17.

I don't think 75% of just ONE coil is going to make that much difference in spring rate, and even if it did the risk-vs-reward wins out becuase the center of gravity is lowered.

And if that weren't bad enough, recommending dropped spindles (given how poor the G-body geometry is) over a good upper control arm like the Savitske Classic & Custom is absurd.

I have cut the springs in several of my cars over the years. Never had any ill effects. Didn't go crazy. Just a 2'' drop or so.
1966 impala, 1970 chevelle, 1994 mustang, and a 1964 chevy II.
I say get the whiz wheel out and go to town.

I have cut the springs in several of my cars over the years. Never had any ill effects. Didn't go crazy. Just a 2'' drop or so.
1966 impala, 1970 chevelle, 1994 mustang, and a 1964 chevy II.
I say get the whiz wheel out and go to town.

Exactly, and sure it changes things.. but the car is also lower, so just the center of gravity being lower changes things greatly also.

From what I understand, four or five sets have been made.

Also, on a side note. I had to pop out the center disks from my old hub caps to use for the new alum ones. I just drilled a small hole in the back of the hub. Pushed out the disk with a small screwdriver. Old caps pop out cleaner than new ones due to the fact that the silicone starts to let go after years. I heard that Mark Hueffman makes custom caps too.

Rim pics anyone?

Mike Barnard

Center Cap Emblems for Budnik Billet Wheels

Communicated with Mark Huffman via email - was able to buy 4 for $59.99. I will post picture when they arrive. Wahoo no cuting up of center caps. Anyone buying the Budnik Billet GN replica's should know about this as they are fresh brand new in appearance. They will require a thin gasket behind them in the Budnik wheel center as they are 1/8" thick and the recess in the wheel center is 7/32" deep. I gave Mark the exact ID dimensions of the recess in the Budnik center caps.

Mark Huffman's Website is turbogn.com
email: mhueffman@snet.net

cant wait to see what the 17"s look like on a GN.. I talked to them about it, but really think I'd prefer to see a mounted set before moving forward.

Budnik Replic Wheel Picture

From what I understand, four or five sets have been made.

Also, on a side note. I had to pop out the center disks from my old hub caps to use for the new alum ones. I just drilled a small hole in the back of the hub. Pushed out the disk with a small screwdriver. Old caps pop out cleaner than new ones due to the fact that the silicone starts to let go after years. I heard that Mark Hueffman makes custom caps too.

Rim pics anyone?

Mike Barnard

The custom caps from Mark Hueffman work Great - I gave him exact measurements in thousants.

GN with polished Budnik Wheels.jpg

Photo shot on the Colorado National Monument

Budnik Replic Wheel Picture

It looks as if those arent painted correct? Man do those look nice though!

They are polished w/black ceramic coating not put on them -- Budnik will make them either way. The polished vs the more original looking with black ceramic coating was more my wife's preference and since we were getting them and post-phoning the addition to my rear patio until next summer well you get the idea.

Here's painted vs non-painted.

alumGNrims004.jpg

alumGNrims005.jpg

MustangGNrims033.jpg

MustangGNrims031.jpg

Anyone got 17s yet?

Mike Barnard