Fire Extinguisher Recommendations.

HighMileage

Albany,NY
After my regulator o-ring failed today,it has me thinking I'd better carry a fire extinguisher.

Considering a small one to carry in the trunk. With a spare trunk key hidden near the lic plate.

Gonna check Lowes to see what they have. I believe I need class B. I used to know the classes...

What do some of you carry in your car?

Steve. '87 GN. PowerLogger,60#,tt chip,Accufab reg.

most common is ABC

A-common combustibles
B-petroleum products
C-energized Electrical
D-flammable metals

ABC is general use and commonly available in 2.5, 5, 10 lb sizes. If you have a fire on fuel injected car or fuel pump, remember to turn off power to fuel pump.

ABC dry chemical units make a HUGE mess of things. HALON is the BEST way to go, but it has been banned by environmentalists.:mad: It is the ONLY extinguishing agent used on commercial aircraft. It's hard to find, but still available. Jegs/Summit sell HALON systems. Fire/Ice is also used by NHRA, but I am not sure of the compound. Co2 works very good on gas, oil and elctrical fires. I really hate dry chemical extinguishers. The first time you use one, you will know what I mean. HUGE mess, but at least your car didn;t burn up. (but it kills engine bearings, too.) But at that point re-build is in order anyway. (along with wiring harness, hoses, ect.)

Found this small Halon fire extinguisher online:

Halon Fire Extinguisher (Small) - Sporty's Pilot Shop

It's $100 plus shipping.

As far as the chemical ones making a mess?? I have one on my lift I drive at work. It was missing the pin..a box fell off a tall pallet and fell on it. I got a 1 second blast in the face. Yeah.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Steve. '87 GN.

I have a big one on the rear floorboard. A guy here had a fuel fire in his GN and the small extinguisher didn't put it out.

After my regulator o-ring failed today,it has me thinking I'd better carry a fire extinguisher.

Considering a small one to carry in the trunk. With a spare trunk key hidden near the lic plate.

Steve. '87 GN. PowerLogger,60#,tt chip,Accufab reg.

I'm afraid by the time you realize that you have a fire, get the car to the side of the road, shut off the engine, pop the hood, open your door, run to the back of the car, locate the key, open the trunk, grab the extinguisher, run to the front of the car, raise the hood, pull the pin and shoot, there won't be much to save if you have a gas related fire. Especially if the gas has sprayed all over the engine compartment while it was under pressure.
The extinguisher is a very good idea but keep it in the car within reach of the drivers seat, anywhere else you'll just be endangering yourself further as you rummage around looking for it. Besides, fires inside the car are not unheard of either.

heres where i stuck mine. peace of mind. i am definetly getting one of those halo's. dont mind the shifter still got to get the top plate laminate

Attachments

• 11150023109.jpg
    11150023109.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 183
I carry mine in a tool bag on the back seat, has the owners manuals, some spare parts, fuses, large flashlight, some tools, and programming instructions for the translator system and chip, etc. in there.

Sticks right out the top with the flashlight and is easily accessible. :cool:

i`m definetly getting one, took the car out for a test drive yesterday and when i was backing the car up in the garage smoke was coming from the hood...i thought it was oil smoke from my valve cover from testing my converter stall...as soon as i pop the hood there was a big fire ball by my ac box...I was very lucky that i was at home or my car would have burn down...used the water hose to put out the fire

I carry mine in a tool bag on the back seat, has the owners manuals, some spare parts, fuses, large flashlight, some tools, and programming instructions for the translator system and chip, etc. in there.

Sticks right out the top with the flashlight and is easily accessible. :cool:

While it's good that you have those things with you, it's best if you secure all of those items. If you ever have an accident, the big flashlight and extinguisher become heavy azz missiles!!!! I had a buddy roll his Jeep and did not get hurt....except for the 15" adjustable wrench that was in the back seat busting his head wide open!!!!

The little halgaurd comes with a mounting bracket, which also can be screwed into the center console and the lid closes fine on it too- that is where I have mine mounted:eek:

I've been in 5 accidents in that car. :eek:

All women. :rolleyes:

They don't hit you that hard. ;)

I think the whole toolbag just slams into the back of the drivers seat, at least it did once in the big hit about 20mph or so. :mad:

Mebbe I'll move the bag to behind the passenger side seat. :biggrin:

Don't jinx me. :eek:

I've been in 5 accidents in that car. :eek:

All women. :rolleyes:

They don't hit you that hard. ;)

I think the whole toolbag just slams into the back of the drivers seat, at least it did once in the big hit about 20mph or so. :mad:

Mebbe I'll move the bag to behind the passenger side seat. :biggrin:

Don't jinx me. :eek:

How about using a back seat seat belt to hold it in place. We have a local law that prohibits speakes from laying loose on the rear package deck. A local kid was killed because a speaker box hit him in the head during an accident. Use a good ballistic nylon bag with strong handles and loop the seat belt through the handles. Good for a 9G landing.;)

FYI for all you guys seeking a halon extinguisher.

I use to work in general aviation and they all use halon extinguishers. The extinguishers have a pretty low life limit and need to be replaced quite often due to strict aviation regulations. There is usually nothing wrong with the expired units. I have one in my car (larger than the unit pictured for $100) that was from 1985 and still held a charge. If you cruise by and general aviation FBO repair station they usually throw these extinguishers away when they expire. Or they have a ton of expired ones laying around. These can usually be picked up for free or for very little cash.

About 20 years ago some poor guy driving a tanker rolled it on the expressway, he was on fire and a good Samaritan (ny has the good Samaritan law) put him out with one of the class A units. Doing so makes the burns even worse because of the powder so I guess it was that or burn to death. Wonder if a Halon one would of made a difference in the end so get the halon, the life you save may be your own.

just lay it in the seat if your worried about it and get the biggest one you can find , bc if it goes down you'll need it !!!
LOL im being a dick

Mine is still in the Nylon tool bag on the back seat, easy access. :cool:

Flashlight is now a small 2 AAA cell LED one which is much brighter than the big old D cell one.

Mine is still in the Nylon tool bag on the back seat, easy access. :cool:

Flashlight is now a small 2 AAA cell LED one which is much brighter than the big old D cell one.
damn you got rid of the enforcer!!! d cells !!!