Fill Dirt?

camino70

I need some fill dirt for my back yard and don't have the lightest idea on how to get it or what it should cost? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ron

Isnt there any fill dirt places in GA? By the yard, or a dump truck full. I think the dump trucks are $500 a load give or take.

woah! 500 a load!!!!???

out here, you put a sign out by the major road:

"CLEAN free fill dirt wanted -->"

then signs to your house like a yard sale and a sign where to dump it. Guys that are grading, doing swimming pools, building pads... all have extra dirt that they normally have to take to the dump.

IF you have to pay for it, it is never more then $70 for a load. Now, this is AZ, so who knows, but I have a buddy in GA that is a General Contractor. I'll call him and see if he can get the skinny on it for ya.

I think he is in marietta?

dunno, I'll let you know.

Vic

I went to a new development today and they are willing to deliver it about .5 mile to my home for $50 a load with their trucks.
Apparently I grossly underestimated how many truck loads too, so maybe I will try to find some for free.
Ron

Well, I guess its the cost of shipping the dirt. I think it takes at least a 20 mile one way trip to bring it here.

camino70 said:
I went to a new development today and they are willing to deliver it about .5 mile to my home for $50 a load with their trucks.
Apparently I grossly underestimated how many truck loads too, so maybe I will try to find some for free.
Ron

Negotiate it with them... They will usually come down. Tell them you want it for like 20 a load... whats the worst they can say? No?

Thanks guys, I did negotiate and he used his dump, his loader, 12 loads and he spread it with his bobcat for $500. I don't think I made out too bad...
Ron

Fill Dirt

Here in S. GA, They get 50 to 200 for a truck load for debris less fill dirt. You got a good deal! :)

Location, location, location.

It all depends on where it's going, if the project is long or short of dirt.

If you filling in a non-structural area, you want to use topsoil (black).

When a contractor is long on a job, he has to truck it to a dump site or job that is short. If you are closer then the dump site you will save the contractor $$$.

In some cases you could get the material free. You will have to pay for the bobcat time and it sounds like you got a fair deal.