Fel-pro intake gasket changed?

4 is the grey stuff and a little thicker. 5 is black, very thin and makes the living room smell awesome for about 3 hours :)

Which would you use on the intake? I usually use copper Spray a Gasket on the sides of the intake gasket and use black silicone around the ends (water area).

With a good gasket, you shouldn't use any sealer around the water ports.
Put a dab of black RTV where the end seals meet the heads. Everything else should be clean and dry.
With the crappy tin can gaskets, you'd have to use sealer. I haven't found any that will hold up to hot, pressurized coolant for any length of time.

I agree with the fact that a gasket should do it alone... but without a freshly machined intake they usually have suffered pitting and corrosion (and sometimes still after machining).

and Yamabond will put up with pressurized coolant for a very very long time. That stuff when used correctly is bad ass.

No, it is Yamabond, from Yamaha.... Thanks Earl--learn something new from you just about every day. :)

If it's gray, practically 'pours' out of the tube, and leaves a thing string when you're done, it might be the same stuff as Yamabond 4. I think it's made by 3M

No, it is Yamabond, from Yamaha.... Thanks Earl--learn something new from you just about every day. :)

I used to be a Yamaha service manager back when I raced a TZ250. There's a few chemical 'secrets' that I carried out of there. It seems like Hondabond from a Honda shop is the same as Yamabond4. I never verified that as I'm still on a tube that's over 10 years old. As long as you don't run over it with your racevan, that stuff lasts forever.

If anybody goes to a Yamaha shop to try a tube, grab a can of Yamaha Silicone Spray too. Spray it on the airdams, bumper strips, tires and dash. You'll thank me later.

We use Yamabond 4 on transmission cases that have no gasket..metal to metal surface.
I bet Yamabond would work awesome under the rear main cap like anaerobic sealer

Yamabond 5 is what you're supposed to use on gasketless cases but 4 works just fine. When I build any engine I always put a 1 molecule thick smear of Yamabond at the back of the main cap parting line (and on the ends of the rear seal). And yes, it works great.

I talked to a federal mogul rep today. He's going to contact Felpro's engineering department to find out what's going on. He said he'd call me back once he knows something.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I talked to a federal mogul rep today. He's going to contact Felpro's engineering department to find out what's going on. He said he'd call me back once he knows something.

Sounds awesome. Patiently waiting to find the low down.

Thanks for the investigative report:D

So I just found out that when Napa started selling fel-pro, they re-boxed all of their old Victor stock into fel-pro boxes.
I just ordered another gasket from another supplier. I had them open it before sending it, and it's blue.

Wow, NAPA screwing around with people. Not good.