Best way to gasket and seal a bare intake?

mike_stahl2000

I bought a champion stock intake from a board member that I smoothed out the exterior before I take it to powder coat. I also picked up a precision plenum that I polished and smoothed out the inside. Champion billet fuel rails, I also picked up a RJC plate and 65mm polished TB from a board member. Also EGR block off plate, 2 plenum gaskets, billet thermostat housing kit, and billet vacuum block from GBODYPARTS.com. What is the recommendation for gaskets and sealers for everything from the intake up? I thought about the fel-Pro 1200 intake gaskets and separate valley pan. Is that preferred? Any other hardware/fittings, ect that I should grab before throwing this on? Hose nipples? I also grabbed up a set of the raised lettered valve covers that I smoothed out for powder coat, gasket and sealer recommendations for those? I appreciate your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get a plain ole fel-pro intake gasket and a pair of delco plenum gaskets.

Pretty sure I have a stack of plenum gaskets around here somewhere. The intake you can get at any fast food parts house.

Make sure the intake hasn't been milled to fit the previous engine. It will never seal if it was.

I like the plain ole parts store Felpros. In my personal experience they only last 15 years.

After that much time they flake apart when you put the valve covers in a high pressure jetwash cabinet. :)
Some people have had issues with aftermarket valve covers sealing, to include my brothers car, after 2 sets of standard gaskets, and much searching thru the forum, decided to try the "permadry" gaskets, and low and behold they worked, I've installed them on 2 other TR's that had the same issue, my car I just used the same as you, Felpro regular cork gaskets and still holding good after 3 years.

Do you guys just throw gaskets on all the other stuff like egr, vacuum block, throttle body, and plenum? Or do you add some type of sealant?

I glue gaskets to valve covers. I use a 1/2NPT and a 3/8NPT pipe plug on my EGR, soak the plenum gaskets in water before I install them, and I I smear Yamabond around the water ports on intake valley pans.

I just use 3M High strength spray adhesive lightly on valve cover gaskets to stick them for install, and Earl has covered the rest, about the same thing I've had succes with for sealing.

I glue gaskets to valve covers. I use a 1/2NPT and a 3/8NPT pipe plug on my EGR, soak the plenum gaskets in water before I install them, and I I smear Yamabond around the water ports on intake valley pans.

What does soaking the gaskets in water do ? I am about to regasket my replacement motor soon.

Make sure the intake hasn't been milled to fit the previous engine. It will never seal if it was.

The only thing done on the intake is EGR welded closed and porting. It’s one of those stock intakes done by Champion heads. I don’t believe they do any machining as it’s expected to fit onto a stock block.