Favorite engine assembly lube

Lucas. Stays on the bearing surface and skirts of the pistons very well, the dispenser on the bottle is easier to handle and clean off, it's cheap and readily available. I assemble 10-15 engines a year and approximately 200 turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

while I don't do near the volume as Mr bison I've always used lubriplate 105 on engines. Though I have a coffee can with stp oil treatment to dip pistons in right before I put them into the block. I keep the lid on it between sessions.

For trans I use a trans assembly lube. I get blue as it is hot here in the summer when I'm in the garage and the other stuff melts too easy.

Sadly I don't have a why. It's what I was taught with from the oldtimers I learned from 25-30 yrs ago.

I will pickup a tube of the Lucas. Old dog ain't afraid of new tricks.

thanks No Brad Penn here ,Lucas is available, never used assemble lube on the skirts ,makes good seance.I just used oil on the skirts and 105 on the roller lifters and in the pump .
I ask because I was ready to try something new .
Do you use the Lucas in the pump and on the rollers ?
Cam manufacturers say“Pre
soaking in a bath of engine oil that all ,I do that and used the 105 on the lifters for just a little extra .probably too much
Lucas Is it more of a oil than a grease?

I have used GM EOS for a long time, and also Red Line assembly lube. If you prime the engine until oil flows from the rockers before starting, I would think any assembly lube would be washed out anyway. JE recommends using ATF on the pistons, cylinder walls, and rings. Seems to work OK.

thanks No Brad Penn here ,Lucas is available, never used assemble lube on the skirts ,makes good seance.I just used oil on the skirts and 105 on the roller lifters and in the pump .
I ask because I was ready to try something new .
Do you use the Lucas in the pump and on the rollers ?
Cam manufacturers say“Pre
soaking in a bath of engine oil that all ,I do that and used the 105 on the lifters for just a little extra .probably too much
Lucas Is it more of a oil than a grease?
Oil is fine on the skirts. Anything that will keep them from scuffing. I don't ever use anything between/above the rings except very light oil. I've seen some saturate the ring package and send it home. I can't see how this would be good during break in and might actually hurt the break in of the compression rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucas makes an actual assembly lube. It seems like the exact same thing as the lucas oil additive. I just buy the oil additive in the 1 qt bottle. It is sticky as can be.

Here is what I use:

• Clevite Bearing Gard for bearings (a thick bodied oil based lube) -or-
  • 50/50 mix of GM EOS and STP Oil Treatment for bearings (plain, roller or needle)

• 10-w30 motor oil soak for lifters
  • ZDDP paste on Flat tappet cams and lifters......I like this stuff because it stays where you apply it! Other stuff ends up in the pan where it does little good.
  • a liberal coating of ATF on Cylinder walls.....thinking about trying the Total Seal specific lube for rings/cylinder walls
  • Pack the oil pump with plain old vaseline
  • Comp Cams conventional Break-In oil for the first fill

i havnt gotten to build with it yet but my instructor uses power punch, it saved there 1200hp BBC in their boat when it sunk and they drained the motor and set in the trailer for several weeks and there was no rust or damage from the salt water. there was even a stringy film left over when they pulled it apart. i use it to replace 1qt in my suburban and it quiets down my lazy lifter and seems to run smother.

Melling assembly lube is what I use. Great stuff. I've seen engines run with no oil pressure for 5-10 mins with this stuff and the Bearings were perfect.