Fast 1/8th Slow From There

Robes87GN

Bench Racing Hater
I was at the track all summer pulling off 1.80 60 fts with spin at my 1-2 shift, pulling consistent 8.1s-8.2's in the 1/8th at 87-88mph. Even though I hit that fast, i still only get up to a 12.82 @ 105mph in the 1/4. Anyone know why i gain so much so early and little so late? I know my gear ratio has a lot to do with it, but could someone possibly elaborate on it. I do leave it in drive the whole race, but dont shift through yet, because I didnt feel like dropping the tranny and not having a thing to drive home.

Is it pulling timing on the big end? Your not even getting 20 mph thru the last eighth.

Honestly, i dont really know the rpms, because i was too scared. I am getting better at it, but my car still scares the hell out of me. Stock converter, stock gears. I shift through my 1-2 right after the 60 ft. Second carries me to about the 1/8th, my 3rd is redlining at 5500rpms when i cross the 1/4.

Do you have an aftermarket tach??? The stock one is usually WAY off.
:(

no... im going to buy one for the outside this winter if money allows... tranny to get me into the low 11's seems like it will be costing me $1500 at least. I'm a college kid, money doesnt seem to be the most common thing coming in, just leaving. My main concern is the tranny and the tranny only if thats all that my budget allows. Trust me, I have 15k worth of things I want done... but I can wait till i get a job after college.

Are you locking the converter? That could help, but it still sounds like you're not doing so well. Worn valve springs maybe?

Keep the ideas rolling, I plan on removing everything from my car this winter including body panels, engine, transmission. The whole car will get a good look over.

I've decided just to buy a cam and get the lifter kit too. What should I be looking for? Nothing special, just a street cam with the valve springs to go with it.

Do a search in the General Tech area about the cam TOO MUCH info on that subject over there. I have a SpeedPro 204/214 in my other motor sitting on the engine stand, that will make its way into the car sooner or later.
As far as springs my vote would be for CompCam 980's. You'll find lots of info on that subject aswell.

Stock cam, comp cams 980 springs, ported iron heads.

Or billet roller if you must. :)

You may be happiest with just the spring change.

Maximize what you have and can afford.

Not that I've ever done that. :D

Originally posted by salvageV6
Stock cam, comp cams 980 springs, ported iron heads.

Or billet roller if you must. :)

You may be happiest with just the spring change.

Maximize what you have and can afford.

Not that I've ever done that. :D
I agree with Salvage. If your car runs good as is, which it sounds like it does. I would highly recommend just changing the springs first. You'll open a whole other can of worms with a cam change. MUCH easier to just do the springs and see how that does first. I ordered mine over the web from Summit.

Originally posted by Robes87GN
Honestly, i dont really know the rpms, because i was too scared. I am getting better at it, but my car still scares the hell out of me. Stock converter, stock gears. I shift through my 1-2 right after the 60 ft. Second carries me to about the 1/8th, my 3rd is redlining at 5500rpms when i cross the 1/4.
If you are worried about rpm, taller tires and locking the converter will help keep rpm lower. I run 28x9 MT Drags and lock my converter sometimes. The larger footprint of the 28" tire should help to get you 1.8 short times into the 1.7s, which would put you into the high 7s in the eighth.

Don't know if you're manually shifting, but I just leave mine in Drive. I forgot and left it in second after my burnout the last time I ran the eighth, and I dropped 3 mph but still managed a 7.81:cool:

I plan on getting new DR's or just slicks, but my car is going to be on the street more than at the track. I dont have the resources to buy another set of rims to along with the slicks.

If you are only running 105 mph on 24 psi of boost, you need to run a real race chip. That sounds like a street chip (unless the trans is slipping big time)

Street chips cut the timing way back in 3rd.

50 series Nittos are too short, but you still should run 108 with an 88 mph 1/8 mile trap speed.

I use the Red Armstrong 108 chip for drag racing. It locks the torque converter in all gears. I use the ATR Pitbull chip on the street.