Fan quit working???

vettekilr

"NO its not a MONTE"
I have my fan wired to a switch,and I keep it on most of the time car runs around 165*,the other night I was sitting at a light and seen a little SMOKE rise from under the hood,checked it and found out the fan quit.I washed the car earilier and figured I smoked the fan relay,installed a new one,wasnt it.Someone told me my fan clutch could be the problem(i didnt know they had one).I called auto zone,they said they had thermal or non thermal?ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE ?

Originally posted by vettekilr
I have my fan wired to a switch,and I keep it on most of the time car runs around 165*,the other night I was sitting at a light and seen a little SMOKE rise from under the hood,checked it and found out the fan quit.I washed the car earilier and figured I smoked the fan relay,installed a new one,wasnt it.Someone told me my fan clutch could be the problem(i didnt know they had one).I called auto zone,they said they had thermal or non thermal?ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE ?

No, you don't have a fan clutch. Obviously the people you are dealing with DONT HAVE A CLUE!!!

From the smoke, etc. I'd say you burned a wire in the cooling fan harness somewhere. The most likely culprit is usually the large connector that hooks to the fan.

Mine quit working the other day as well. I unplugged the large connector and plugged it back in an "bingo".. Musta been a bad connection..

Goodluck.. Hopefully yours is an easy fix.

The fan draws its power through a fusible link down by the starter. Mine poofed on me a couple years back.

My fan quit on me a while back. The fan itself was the culpret - all voltages were correct to the fan.
Buick wanted $280 for a replacement fan motor. Ramchargers dual fan was $90 including shipping.
Ramchargers fan is running about 10* cooler than the original Buick fan.

Thanks for the replys,I'll check all of that.I found the green with yellow stripe wire that my fan and t.c are hooked up to aint getting power,I prolly smoked that wire somewhere?:mad: