fan delay relay clicking

T Spool

My fan delay relay sometimes starts clicking after the car is shut off. Does this mean the relay is most likely bad or could it mean other electrical issues?

HS delay relay

Hi,
Connection problems come to mind. You have probably noticed that when disconnecting the battery, this relay cycles and the fan turns on erratically.If you ask me, proper connections will fix this.

The fan delay relay degrades over time due to moisture intrusion... it's not sealed. You would likely scare yourself if you took it apart and saw all the funk that it has growing on it. Do yourself (and battery) a favor, and just disconnect it at the relay, and then sleep well. There are NO ill effects of disconnecting it.... the fan will still function normally, but will always shut off when you turn the key off. If you leave it connected, soon you'll wake up to a dead battery because the fan mysteriously kicked on at 3am and ran all nite. Ask me how I know.... :rolleyes: In my opinion, it's also a fire hazard in the degraded condition, and it can short out and cause further mayhem. The delay function is not necessary. Further confirming information can be found at Casper's website....

If you decide to keep it I have one for sale at a reasonable price and it is also new GM.

Ron

You guys are right, I had a dead battery just a few days before I heard the clicking so I knew that was my problem. Since then I have been unplugging it!

John, thanks for the link from your site. I will do as you recommend and simply leave it unplugged. I like free fixes :)

I don't see how having the fan continue to run 5-10 mintes after the car is shut off is going to help get the temp back down below 228 unless the water pump is also turning.

It would make more sense to have an electric water pump in conjunction.

Hi,
The Buick engineers were doubtless thinking of convection cooling when they mandated the high speed delay relay. These guys never put a part on that is not absolutely necessary,the cost guys would be on them in a minute.
I have had my own issues with this relay, so I must say I was overly optimistic about connection problems. The problem is almost always the relay.