Failed emissions test with emissions chip

Guess

87 GN
If my NOx is way high and failing emissions tests, what's the likely culprit for our GN's? EGR valve? Thanks.

Test it by hand first, sometimes they just stick in the carbon and soot.

Lift up on the diaphragm behind the big round part at idle, should stall the car out when lifted out of the seat.

And you can check them with a vacuum source too like a mity-vac pump.

Might save you a few bucks and just need unclogging/unsticking especially if you normally use a chip that doesn't command any EGR operation like me.

I always have to unstick mine before heading out to get tested.

Yeah, thanks. That might be it. I did test it last night. Seems to work fine. Moves freely. Car stumbles when I press in when idling.

I can press in on the diaphragm and then cover the vacuum port and it will hold vacuum for as long as I keep my finger there.

Maybe it was just stuck and I freed it up last night when testing it. If I fail the next test, I'll look at the egr solenoid/actuator.

I also found a vacuum leak I can hear over the idling motor in the line going from the vacuum block to the PCV valve. It's aslo T'd to my vacuum assist brakes. That should take care of my intermittent squishy brake problem when I get that fixed. :)

I also found a short kinked hose that runs from one side of the intake to the other just underneath where the intercooler hose attaches to the intake. I don't know what it does. I'll post a pic at lunch.

Could still be the EGR. It's controlled by electronics (that little square box sitting about 8" closer to the firewall than the valve its self). Is it plugged in? Are the vacuum lines from it to the valve OK?
Who made your smog chip?

mine was a hollowed out cat...went back and forth several times trying different things..emissions chip didnt help me

Could still be the EGR. It's controlled by electronics (that little square box sitting about 8" closer to the firewall than the valve its self). Is it plugged in? Are the vacuum lines from it to the valve OK?
Who made your smog chip?

The 'actuator' is plugged in and I replaced the vacuum hoses to it about a month ago. I'm thinking of just replacing it. It's the only other think I think it could be. TurboTweak made my emissions chip so I don't doubt the chip. I posted all my readings on their forum and he said 99% of the time the high NOx is due to egr system.

Could you guys tell me what this pinched hose is for? I found this last night, below the vacuum block on the bottom of the intake. Runs back underneath the intake. It looks like it hooks into the other side.

On passenger side of intake
IMG_0561.jpg

Finger on it
IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

The 'actuator' is plugged in and I replaced the vacuum hoses to it about a month ago. I'm thinking of just replacing it. It's the only other think I think it could be. TurboTweak made my emissions chip so I don't doubt the chip. I posted all my readings on their forum and he said 99% of the time the high NOx is due to egr system.

Could you guys tell me what this pinched hose is for? I found this last night, below the vacuum block on the bottom of the intake. Runs back underneath the intake. It looks like it hooks into the other side.

On passenger side of intake
IMG_0561.jpg

Finger on it
IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

Those are hot water supply lines to the throttle body. They supply heated coolant to the throttle body. Never had them hooked up on mine even when I was in CA and still passed smog easilly.

I see thanks. Wasn't sure what it was for. I'll probably just block those off.

All my readings are way below emissions limit except NOx. I installed a new high flow cat about 6-8 inches behind my downpipe. So I'm good there. It has about 100 miles on it.

It's gotta be the actuator. I'll install a new one and give it another shot.

That's what the problem was, EGR actuator/solenoid. Replaced that and passed easily.